Diversity and InclusionAbout
Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
Find out more about how we are a leader in diversity, ensure an inclusive workplace, create a diverse pipeline and partner with our clients. Learn More
Our commitment to diversity is reflected at every level of the firm. Learn More
Professional Development and Inclusion
We offer a Diversity Speakers series, alumni events, affinity groups, career development opportunities and our Women’s Leadership Initiative. Learn More
WilmerHale’s female lawyers deliver exceptional results as trusted advisors to our clients while providing leadership within the firm and the profession at large. Learn More
Women Trial Lawyers
Many of WilmerHale’s women partners have led high-stakes trials, applying focus, dedication and years of practice to make the difference for our clients. Learn More
WilmerHale Received Mansfield 3.0 Plus Status for Achieving Key Diversity GoalsNews
- For the eighth consecutive year, WilmerHale has been named a Top Women-Led Business in Massachusetts by The Boston Globe and The Commonwealth Institute.
- For the third consecutive year, WilmerHale achieved Mansfield 3.0 Certification Plus status, one of only 67 law firms in the nation to do so.
- WilmerHale was named among the "Best Law Firms for Women" by Working Mothers for the 13th consecutive year, which recognizes firms that utilize best practices in finding, retaining, promoting and developing women lawyers.
- WilmerHale earned a 100 percent rating in the Corporate Equality Index for the 12th consecutive year based on the annual Human Rights Campaign Foundation survey to identify the best places to work for LGBT equality.
- The firm was named among the Top Firms for Working Mothers & Family Planning by Yale Law Women, an organization that seeks to advance the status of women and traditionally underrepresented gender identities. WilmerHale was previously named on the Top Ten Friendly Firms list in 2018, 2015–2016, 2008–2012 and 2006.
- The Diversity & Flexibility Alliance recognized WilmerHale as “Tipping the Scales” for having 50% or more women in its 2020 US-based new partner class.
- For the second year in a row, WilmerHale won the second-highest spot on The American Lawyer’s A-List, scoring a mere one point lower than the top-ranked firm. This prestigious list highlights the top 20 law firms in the nation that excel in associate satisfaction, diversity, finances and pro bono.
- The firm achieved Mansfield 2.0 Certification Plus status. The Mansfield Rule’s goal is to boost the representation of diverse lawyers in law firm leadership by broadening the pool of candidates considered for such opportunities, and the firm has been certified since the list was established.
- Working Mother magazine and Flex-Time Lawyers again named WilmerHale a Best Law Firm for Women; the firm has received the honor every year since the list launched in 2007.
- WilmerHale was named a Top-Scoring Firm in the 2019 Inclusion Blueprint survey, a collaboration between Diversity Lab and ChIPs that measures law firm inclusion and diversity at the leadership and practice group levels.
- Women in Law Empowerment Forum awarded WilmerHale the Gold Standard Certification Award for the sixth time in 2019 for dedication to women in leadership roles and commitment to equal compensation.
- Wilmerhale was recognized by Get Konnected! as a Diversity & Inclusion champion for leading the way in promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the legal community.
- The firm placed first in The Washington Post’s 2019 Top Workplace ranking of large companies in the national capital region, and Catherine Carroll, partner-in-charge of the Washington DC office, was quoted extensively in an accompanying feature article on the successes and challenges in promoting workplace diversity.
- The Boston Globe named WilmerHale a Top Place to Work in Boston for the sixth consecutive year.
- For six consecutive years, Bay Area News named the firm a Top Workplace.
- The Denver Business Journal recognized WilmerHale’s Denver office for the second year in a row as one of the city’s Best Places to Work.
- Law360 listed WilmerHale as a “Best Firm for Women and Minority Attorneys” for the second year in a row and ranked the firm of only two large firms to have above average representation at all levels in terms of both race/ethnicity and gender on its Glass Ceiling Report and Diversity Snapshot. Law360 also listed the firm as a “ceiling smasher” for the second year in a row based on the percent of women equity partners.
- WilmerHale narrowly missed first place on The American Lawyer’s A-List and achieved its highest position ever since the list’s inception in 2003. This prestigious list highlights the top 20 law firms in the nation that excel in associate satisfaction, diversity, finances and pro bono.
- WilmerHale became one of only 26 law firms in the United States to achieve Mansfield Certification Plus status after successfully completing a one-year pilot program in which participating firms agreed to have their diversity efforts measured against ambitious targets for the percentages of women and attorneys of color in leadership and other important roles.
- Dell awarded WilmerHale its Legal Diversity Award, given annually to one of Dell’s partner law firms that excels at embracing and promoting workplace diversity. Selection was based on the overall diversity and inclusion strategy, the critical role of diversity programs and the Women's Leadership Initiative, and key metrics related to recruiting, advancement, and leadership.
- TIAA selected WilmerHale as a recipient of its Diversity & Inclusion Award for the firm’s efforts to recruit, develop and promote diverse lawyers.
- WilmerHale received the inaugural Honor Roll Award given by ChIPs at its annual Women in Tech, Law, and Policy Global Summit for making a deliberate effort to increase diversity and inclusion and demonstrated success giving women true leadership positions and visibility.
- The National Asian Pacific American Bar Association awarded WilmerHale its Law Firm Diversity Award, which recognizes firms that actively, affirmatively, and consistently recruit, retain, and promote Asian Pacific American lawyers to equity partnership and firm leadership.
- WilmerHale received the Bank of America Legal Department’s Diversity & Inclusion Business Council award; the firm was selected among a group of more than 200 law firms.
- For the third consecutive year, Crain's New York ranked WilmerHale a Best Place to Work, recognizing the firm's New York office for maintaining a workplace of collegiality and collaboration.