Diversity and InclusionAbout
Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
Find out more about how we are a leader in diversity, ensure an inclusive workplace, create a diverse pipeline and partner with our clients. Learn More
Our commitment to diversity is reflected at every level of the firm. Learn More
Professional Development and Inclusion
We offer a Diversity Speakers series, alumni events, affinity groups, career development opportunities and our Women’s Leadership Initiative. Learn More
WilmerHale Again Named Top Ten Family Friendly FirmNews
- American Lawyer “A-List” (2003-2017) – For the 14th year, the firm is recognized in annual compilation that lists the 20 leading US firms and honors overall excellence, including financial success, commitment to pro bono work, workforce diversity and the training and development of younger lawyers. The firm has earned the fifth highest score, of any national law firm in the past twelve years, indicating consistency and great strength across The American Lawyer’s key areas of success.
- Vault Law 100 (2006-2017) – WilmerHale consistently ranks near the top of the overall Prestige List, also placing in “best of” lists in numerous categories.
- One of only two large firms to have above average representation at all levels in terms of both race/ethnicity and gender according to Law360’s 2017 Glass Ceiling Report and Diversity Snapshot.
- Listed as a “ceiling smasher” by Law360 in 2017 based on the percent of women equity partners.
- Women in Law Empowerment Forum (2012, 2015-2017) – Awarded WilmerHale the Gold Standard Certification Award for its dedication to women in leadership roles and commitment to equal compensation.
- Yale Law Women (2008-2012, 2015-2016, 2018) – For the eighth time, WilmerHale has been named to the Yale Law Women’s list of “ Top Ten Family Friendly Firms."
- Working Mother magazine and Flex Time Lawyers (2007-2017) – The firm has been included in the “Best Law Firms for Women” list each year since the ranking has been published. The Best Law Firms for Women are recognized for having programs that encourage networking, training and mentoring for women, and for fostering environments that enable women to balance successful careers with motherhood.
- Corporate Equality Index (2009-2017) – WilmerHale earned a 100 percent rating in the Corporate Equality Index (CEI), an annual survey administered by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRC). This is the ninth consecutive year WilmerHale has received a perfect CEI score on the survey, which evaluates the treatment of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) employees in the workplace.
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (2017) – Named WilmerHale as its 2017 Law Firm Diversity Award recipient. NAPABA created the Law Firm Diversity Award to recognize firms that actively, affirmatively, consistently and enthusiastically recruit, retain and promote Asian Pacific American lawyers to equity partnership and firm leadership.
Client and Industry Recognitions
- Dell (2017) – Presented the firm with the 2017 Legal Diversity Award for excellent innovative diversity programs and strong metrics to show that they’re working.
- Bank of America (2016) – Presented WilmerHale with its Award for Diversity and Inclusion for creating an internal culture that encourages the recruitment, retention, mentoring and promotion of diverse attorneys.
- ChIPs (2017) – Gave WilmerHale the Honor Roll award for demonstrating actual success in giving women true leadership positions and visibility.
- Top Workplaces (2017) – The firm was named a top workplace in 2017 by The Washington Post, Bay Area News Group, The Boston Globe, Crain’s New York Business, and the Dayton Business Journal.
- The Boston Globe and The Commonwealth Institute (2017) – In 2017 ranked WilmerHale among the Top 100 Women-Led Businesses in Massachusetts for the fifth consecutive year, naming WilmerHale as the only law firm on the list for the second consecutive year, and ranking the firm among the top 20 women-led businesses for 2017.
- Boston Business Journal (2011-2014) – For four consecutive years, the firm has been named one of the “Top Charitable Contributors in Massachusetts,” and the highest overall contributor among area law firms.
- The National Law Journal (2015) – Named Partners Susan Murley, Jamie Gorelick and Sharon Cohen Levin to its inaugural list of Outstanding Women Lawyers.
- Diversity Journal (2015) – Named Partners Elizabeth Mitchell and Heather Zachary to its annual list of Women Worth Watching, which recognizes professional women for their passion, potential and positive influence both inside and outside the workplace.
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (2014-2015) – Recognized Partners Karen Green, Cynthia Vreeland and Mary Jo Johnson among the Top Women of Law—an award that honors outstanding women lawyers whose contributions are invaluable to the legal profession. Green was also inducted into the publication’s Circle of Excellence and Partner Felicia Ellsworth was recognized as an Up & Coming Lawyer in the Excellence in the Law section.