Life Sciences Transactions
Life Sciences TransactionsWe regularly represent life sciences companies and investors in transactions critical to growth including venture financings, public offerings, mergers and acquisitions, and licensing agreements and collaborations.Learn More
Life Sciences Corporate Governance and Disclosure
Life Sciences Corporate Governance and DisclosureWith a team that includes former SEC senior staff members, our lawyers provide a unique combination of substantive knowledge, practical experience and skill.Learn More
Life Sciences Patent Litigation and Licensing Disputes
Life Sciences Patent Litigation and Licensing DisputesLife sciences companies turn to WilmerHale to resolve their most complex intellectual property disputes, including bet-the-company patent and licensing disputes, Hatch-Waxman litigation and litigation under the BPCIA.Learn More
Life Sciences Patents and Other Intellectual Property - Technical Experience
Life Sciences Patents and Other Intellectual Property - Technical ExperienceRepresenting leading companies in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, diagnostics, medical devices and beyond in a wide variety of intellectual property matters.Learn More
Life Sciences Regulatory
Life Sciences RegulatoryHandling regulatory issues that arise for life sciences companies developing new drugs, biologics, devices, supplements and other products that require FDA approvals.Learn More
Life Sciences Securities Litigation and Enforcement
Life Sciences Securities Litigation and EnforcementLife sciences companies often find themselves the target of securities fraud litigation or investigations, and our experienced, interdisciplinary team has a strong record of achieving favorable results when these challenges arise.Learn More
Life Sciences Litigation
Life Sciences LitigationOur litigators have the insight to plan and execute a winning strategy from the outset of any case that our life sciences clients may face.Learn More
Life Sciences Real Estate Transactions
Life Sciences Real Estate TransactionsThe representation of landlords, tenants, developers and investors in life sciences transactions calls for sophisticated experience in light of the peculiar issues associated with startups, heavy upfront investment, integrity of laboratory space, environmental matters, security, decommissioning and related concerns.Learn More
Webinar Recording - Life Sciences and Healthcare SPACs: An Alternate Pathway to Going PublicEvent
WilmerHale Recognized by LMG Life Sciences at Annual AwardsNews
Capital Markets TransactionsRepresented Arvinas, Constellation Pharmaceuticals, Stealth Biotherapeutics, Translate Bio and Trevi Therapeutics in recent IPOs, and the underwriters in the IPOs of Entasis Therapeutics, Rhythm Pharmaceuticals, TCR2 Therapeutics and Xeris Pharmaceuticals as well as clients in a broader selection of capital markets transactions including follow-on offerings and Rule 144A placements of convertible notes.
Licensing and Strategic AlliancesRepresented Apellis Pharmaceuticals in a development funding agreement with SFI Pharmaceuticals; Decibel Therapeutics in a strategic collaboration with Regeneron; MacroGenics in collaboration and licensing agreements with Incyte Corporation and Roche; Spark Therapeutics in a licensing and supply agreement with Novartis Pharmaceuticals; and Vividion Therapeutics in a strategic research collaboration with Celgene.
IP Counseling and Post-Grant ProceedingsSecured a significant victory for Bristol-Myers Squibb when the PTAB rejected an IPR filed by the adverse party challenging their anticoagulant drug product Eliquis®; secured a total victory, along with co-counsel, for Gilead Sciences when the PTAB denied institution of the tenth straight petition for IPR of patents directed to Gilead’s Hepatitis C products, including the blockbuster drugs Sovaldi®, Harvoni® and Epclusa®; represented Smith & Nephew in IPRs challenging six patents relating to knee implants and suture anchors; represented Genentech in biosimilar patent litigation and related IPRs involving its $7 billion-a-year drug, Herceptin®; obtained a favorable decision for Genentech and City of Hope, denying institution of an IPR petition filed by Genzyme challenging the validity of the Cabilly monoclonal antibody patents; obtained a successful result for Becton Dickinson when the PTAB invalidated all challenged claims in two IPRs against an Enzo patent directed to nucleic acid hybridization assays, and the Federal Circuit affirmed the PTAB’s decisions on appeal.
Patent Litigation and Licensing DisputesWon a major, complete victory for Bristol-Myers Squibb and Pfizer in one of the largest Hatch-Waxman cases ever filed, covering 25 generic companies’ attempt to challenge Eliquis®; earned a milestone victory for Becton Dickinson, ending an eight-year multinational patent infringement dispute with Braun Melsungen in US district court, the Federal Circuit, the PTAB and numerous jurisdictions across the globe; successfully represented Millennium Pharmaceuticals at the Federal Circuit involving a patent covering its parent company, Takeda's blockbuster oncology drug Velcade®️; successfully defended Astellas Pharmaceuticals’ subsidiary OSI Pharmaceuticals and Genentech against a patent infringement suit in relation to the oncology drug Tarceva® when the PTAB invalidated all asserted claims, and the Federal Circuit affirmed; represented AbbVie in some of the first litigations arising under the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act (BPCIA) related to proposed sales of biosimilar products; prevailed on behalf of Ancestry in a lawsuit brought by 23andMe when all asserted patent claims were ruled to be invalid because they were directed to patent ineligible subject matter.
Venture Capital FinancingsRepresented Carisma Therapeutics in its $53 million Series A financing, Decibel Therapeutics in its $55 million Series C financing, Generation Bio in its $100 million Series B financing, Pandion Therapeutics in its $58 million Series A financing, Ribometrix in its $30 million Series A financing, Ribon Therapeutics in its $65 million Series B financing, Schrödinger in its $85 million late stage financing, and numerous others. Also represent leading life sciences venture funds and other strategic investors, such as Atlas Venture, Flagship Pioneering, MPM Capital, Sofinnova Ventures and many others, in financings.
M&ARepresented Arsanis in its sale to X4 Pharmaceuticals for $165 million, Exonics Therapeutics in its sale to Vertex Pharmaceuticals for $245 million (not including contingent payments), Potenza Therapeutics in its sale to Astellas Pharma for $405 million (including contingent payments), PTC Therapeutics in its acquisition of Agilis Biotherapeutics for $200 million and Thermo Fisher Scientific in the sale of its anatomical pathology business to PHC Holdings for $1.14 billion.
Securities Fraud Litigation and SEC InvestigationsDefend clients in federal securities fraud class action suits, derivative suits, and US Securities and Exchange Commission investigations related to disclosures surrounding the progress of clinical trials, the FDA approval process, and product safety and efficacy. Successful representations include recent wins on behalf of Tetraphase Pharmaceuticals, ConforMIS, InVivo Therapeutics, AVEO Pharmaceuticals, Medtronic, and many others.
Real Estate TransactionsRepresented a New York Stock Exchange publicly traded real estate investment trust in multiple transactions, including leasing matters, joint ventures, acquisitions, financings and development projects for office, lab and retail complexes in key life sciences cluster locations; represented a real estate developer that specializes in healthcare facilities in the acquisition, leasing and development of the first-ever proton therapy center in New York City; and counseled a global pharmaceutical company in the development of its more than a million-and-a-half square-foot campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts, from the time it chose to shift its major research headquarters from Europe to Cambridge through the present.
Trade Industry RepresentationRepresented Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) as amicus before the Second and Third Circuit Courts of Appeals addressing two antitrust issues of significance to the industry: Hatch-Waxman reverse payment settlements, and so-called “product hopping” claims. On behalf of PhRMA, we submitted antitrust briefs addressing product hopping to the Second Circuit in the Namenda case, and to the Third Circuit in the Doryx case. We also submitted an amicus brief addressing reverse payments to the Third Circuit in Wellbutrin.
Recognized as a Top Law Firm for Life Sciences
Shortlisted: Life Cycle Firm of the Year
LMG Life Sciences
Ranked WilmerHale Among the Top Law Firms for Life Sciences
The Legal 500 US
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – Named a top law firm for life sciences (2007–2020) in which sources say our attorneys are “great at teamwork,” “responsive, efficient and very technically sophisticated,” “best in class” and “highly professional with a broad range of experience.”
- The Legal 500 United States – Ranked among top law firms for life sciences (2013–2020); sources said the firm “consistently delivers pragmatic, actionable advice and flawless work product.”
- LMG Life Sciences – Named the US Life Cycle Firm of the Year (2017) and among the shortlist on eight occasions (2012–2020). Recognized as a leading life sciences law firm with rankings in the areas of: patent prosecution, patent strategy and management, general patent litigation, Hatch-Waxman patent litigation, corporate, licensing and collaboration, M&A, venture capital and white collar/government investigations (2012–2020), and named 21 WilmerHale lawyers as “life sciences stars" in the latest edition (2020).
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers – Recognized as a leader in life sciences (2013–2020); acknowledged for global work in the sector including cross-border IP disputes, patent litigation, investigations, regulatory matters and transactions with sources praising the firm’s “capacity to navigate the complexities of the regulatory environment in the global life sciences industry” and “strong offering across both sides of the Atlantic” (2020).
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers® – Named Patent Firm of the Year (2021), Biotechnology Law Firm of the Year (2020) and IP Litigation Law Firm of the Year (2018). Recognized in first-tier Best Law Firms lists in for biotechnology, corporate, intellectual property litigation, M&A, patent, securities/capital markets, securities litigation and venture capital (2014–2021); received first-tier metropolitan rankings in Boston, Colorado, New York, San Jose and Washington DC for several of these and other practice areas relevant to the life sciences industry (2019–2021).
- Managing IP – Consistently recognized as one of the best firms in the United States for life sciences (2013–2020); honored as the US Patent Contentious Firm of the Year seven times since 2011.
- LMG Life Sciences Awards – Received the Impact Case of the Year Award for our work on Enzo Life Sciences v. Roche Molecular Systems and shortlisted for Firm of the Year in the Licensing & Collaboration, General Patent Litigation, IP, Inter Partes Review, and Government Investigations categories (2020); named as the General Patent Litigation Firm of the Year and Intellectual Property Firm of the Year and shortlisted for the Hatch-Waxman Litigation (Branded) Firm of the Year, Inter Partes Review Firm of the Year (2019); and winner of the Hatch-Waxman Impact Case of the Year Award for our role in Millennium Pharmaceuticals v. Sandoz (2018).
- FierceBiotech – Named Voyager Therapeutics' strategic collaboration—led by WilmerHale—with Neurocrine Biosciences as one of the top 15 biopharma licensing deals of 2019.
- BTI Power Rankings Report – Named among the top 10 law firms for having strong and lasting client relationships with the pharmaceutical industry (2017).