Consumer Data Protection
We have advised many of the world's most sophisticated companies on sensitive investigations and forensics related to data breaches, regulatory requirements and enforcement at the federal, state and international levels, compliance, public policy developments, congressional, state attorney general and regulatory investigations, incident planning, critical infrastructure protection, and interaction with law enforcement, as well as a variety of other data security issues.
Cybersecurity and Privacy Litigation
We have litigated many significant cases before the federal and state courts, adjudicatory agencies and private arbitrators. Our lawyers have appeared before the Supreme Court and the federal appellate courts in dozens of appeals of Federal Communications Commission and other agency decisions.
The strength of our practice extends to both sides of the Atlantic. In Europe, we litigate matters for clients before the European Court of First Instance and Court of Justice, and also handle litigation and appeals to national courts from regulatory authorities.
Government Contract Investigations
WilmerHale on Disinformation and Deepfakes Risk ManagementPublication
WilmerHale Privacy and Cybersecurity Law Blog
For one of the world’s largest technology companies, we handled an extensive Federal Trade Commission investigation of its data security practices related to development of consumer software.
We assisted a US corporation with breach notification obligations in connection with its contractor’s improper disclosure of retiree health information.
We helped a large equipment manufacturer with all stages of a worldwide roll-out of a new content-streaming device and software, from designing product features to drafting country-specific consumer privacy notices.
- Global Data Review named WilmerHale to the GDR 100, a global ranking of the top privacy and data law firms, in 2021. While 135 firms made the list, WilmerHale is one of only 25 to be recognized in the Elite category due to its case history and reputation on the global market.
- The Legal 500 Deutschland, Germany’s guide to outstanding lawyers, has ranked WilmerHale among the top firms in the area of data protection. In addition, Hans-George Kamann was named among the top lawyers in the field, while Martin Braun was recognized as a “Leading Lawyer.”
- The Legal 500 United States recognized our group in the 2019–2022 editions for cyber law, including data privacy and protection. We were also recognized in the 2015 edition of its annual guidebook in the technology: data protection and privacy, and telecoms and broadcast: regulatory categories. Benjamin Powell has been individually recognized in recent editions as a Leading Lawyer in the data protection and privacy space.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers in Business recognized WilmerHale as a nationwide leader in privacy and data security. In addition, Kirk Nahra and Benjamin Powell have both been individually recognized as leaders in privacy and data security in general, and healthcare and incident response security respectively.
- Chambers Global: World’s Leading Lawyers for Business recognized WilmerHale as a leading law firm in the area of privacy and data security in the United States and globally in its 2020 edition. In addition, Kirk Nahra was individually recognized for his privacy and data security practices in its 2020 edition. Sources site Mr. Nahra's experience in insurance matters related to HIPAA and data privacy matters and appreciate that "he approaches privacy issues from a very practical, pragmatic standpoint. He is extremely intelligent and really knows this area."
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers Best Law Firms list ranked our advertising law practice in the second tier nationally and in Washington DC in 2021. Past editions have also recognized our advertising law and general communications law practices.