State Attorneys General
WilmerHale is regularly involved in high-profile investigations launched by state attorneys general across the country. The firm has extensive experience with investigations for clients ranging from technology and media companies to consumer product manufacturers and major life sciences and financial services corporations.
Below are examples of our extensive experience handling litigation and investigations with state AGs.
- Representing T-Mobile before state AGs addressing antitrust concerns and related consumer issues regarding the company’s proposed merger with Sprint.
- Representing a technology company in parallel investigations by over a dozen stage AGs, the FTC, the US Congress and numerous international regulators regarding data privacy and consumer protection issues.
- Representing Comcast at trial in litigation brought by the Washington Attorney General alleging violations of the state’s Consumer Protection Act. Successfully prevailed on summary judgment on one of the state’s claims and prevailed on a “half-time” motion to substantially curtail the scope of the remaining claims.
- Representing a high-tech company in a successful federal court challenge to a state AG investigation.
- Represented a social networking company in connection with a data breach inquiry from the Florida Attorney General.
- Successfully represented the Berkshire Museum in multiple appellate proceedings and a wide-ranging investigation by the Massachusetts Attorney General in relation to the Museum’s art collection, including two paintings by Norman Rockwell.
- Represented Oracle in multiple lawsuits brought by the Oregon Attorney General, stemming from the company’s work on Oregon’s healthcare exchange created under the Affordable Care Act.
- Represented a large media company in connection with the New York Attorney General’s investigation regarding #MeToo-related allegations.
- Represented Chase in connection with the California Attorney General’s investigation into the bank’s debt collection practices.
- Represented a global financial institution in connection with multi-state attorneys general and federal resolution of mortgage related claims arising from the financial crisis.