Paul W. Connell
Brian K. Mahanna
Bipartisanship by Example: WilmerHale State AG Practice Featured
Law360 featured the co-chairs of WilmerHale’s State Attorneys General Practice, Partners Brian Mahanna and Paul Connell, in an in-depth Q&A highlighting the bipartisanship of the practice.
- Won a resounding victory for clients T-Mobile and Deutsche Telekom in a landmark antitrust trial in which AGs from 13 states and the District of Columbia sought to enjoin the merger of T-Mobile and Sprint.
- Represented Comcast at trial in litigation brought by the Washington AG alleging violations of the state’s Consumer Protection Act. Successfully prevailed on summary judgment on one of the state’s claims and prevailed on a “half-time” motion to substantially curtail the scope of the remaining claims.
- Represent Intuit in multi-fora consumer protection investigations and litigation, including by the Federal Trade Commission, state attorneys general, a state regulator and state subdivisions.
- Representing a global telecommunications provider in an investigation by five state AGs related to allegations of false advertising.
- Represented a large technology company in a subpoena from the New York AG and Investor Protection Bureau regarding disclosures about various metrics.
- Represented a high-tech company in a successful federal court challenge to an investigation by the Mississippi AG.
- Serve as lead counsel for a global technology company on various investigations, including state Attorney General investigations, related to a high profile privacy incident.
- Assisting a global technology company with overall strategy and engagement, as well as with responding to inquiries from State AGs.
- Serving a financial institution as national coordinating counsel for state AG inquiries related to the Paycheck Protection Program and Covid-19 issues.
- Representing an investment fund in connection with a potential New York AG inquiry into possible market manipulation related to Puerto Rico debt.
- Representing a financial services company in an inquiry by the Massachusetts AG regarding cash sweep vehicles and overdraft charges.
- Representing a financial institution regarding a New York State AG inquiry on fraud detection and customer reimbursement practices.
- Representing a financial institution with a New Jersey AG inquiry and possible litigation around discriminatory lending.
- Represented Chase in connection with the California AG’s investigation into the bank’s debt collection practices.
- Obtaining total dismissal with prejudice of all claims against Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, who was sued (in his personal capacity) by the SEC for securities fraud.
Healthcare and Pharmaceuticals
- Representing a multinational retail corporation facing investigations or litigation from attorneys general from every state and territory related to the opioid crisis.
- Advised and represented a multinational retail company in responding to numerous independent inquiries by multiple attorneys general related to COVID-19 vaccines.
- Assisting a healthcare company with response to New York AG request for information concerning the sale of essential goods during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Representing a pharmaceutical company facing potential state AG investigations, as well as congressional inquiries and potential investigations by the Department of Justice and the Department of Health and Human Services, arising from charges of data manipulation at a subsidiary of the company.
- Advised Bristol-Myers Squibb in state AG action related to claims that it violated consumer protection laws in the marketing of one of its products.
- Represented Oracle in multiple lawsuits brought by the Oregon AG, stemming from the company’s work on Oregon’s healthcare exchange created under the Affordable Care Act.
Energy and Environment
- Represented a utility company in a multifaceted inquiry following an accident, which involved a Massachusetts AG inquiry and numerous other agencies and proceedings.
- Advising a Fortune 100 company on potential AG actions over alleged environmental liabilities.
- Representing a railroad company in a multifaceted inquiry following an accident, which involves an AG inquiry and numerous other agencies and proceedings.
Media and Entertainment
- Successfully represented the Berkshire Museum in multiple appellate proceedings and a wide-ranging investigation by the Massachusetts AG in relation to the Museum’s art collection, including two paintings by Norman Rockwell.
- Represented a large media company in connection with the New York AG’s investigation regarding #MeToo-related allegations.