Trial Co-Chairs Hallie Levin and Joseph Mueller Spotlighted as ‘Litigation Leaders’ in Litigation DailyNews
Brought hundreds of matters to trial over the past decade and served as lead litigation counsel in hundreds of major patent, copyright and trademark cases for clients in technology, life sciences, broadcasting and other industries.
Participated in more than 650 international arbitration proceedings and handled disputes in over 70 legal systems.
Handled many sensitive cases involving regulatory, governmental and public policy issues in which the litigation strategy was coordinated with the client's regulatory, legislative and other political objectives.
Defended hundreds of securities class actions for technology companies, investment banks, broker-dealers and financial services firms.
Advised multinational companies in negotiations with governments throughout the world regarding litigation brought in US courts that raised issues of international law.
Counseled more than 65 public and other companies and individuals in the United States and internationally on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and anti-corruption issues.
Handled hundreds of False Claims Act matters as lead counsel over the past decade.
Represented upwards of 600 pro bono clients since 2013, achieving life-changing results for individuals and making major contributions on issues of equal justice in the United States and internationally.
We have experience across industries, including aviation; bankruptcy and commercial; communications; defense and national security; government contracts; energy, environment and natural resources; financial institutions; labor and employment; and trade.
Law Firm of the Year
The American Lawyer
Top Law Firm of the Year in Intellectual Property
U.S. News and World Report
Top-Tier Appellate Practice
The Legal 500 United States
Tier 1 Ranking in 2020
- The American Lawyer named WilmerHale the 2020 Law Firm of the Year, and a finalist in its 2018 Litigation Department of the Year contest. The magazine also recognized the firm with its IP Litigation Department of the Year title twice (in 2014 and 2008) and named it a finalist in the category six times since the publication first awarded it in 2004.
- Best Lawyers in America regularly recognizes WilmerHale partners. In 2019, it named nine “Lawyer of the Year” in their areas, including Wayne Stoner for patent litigation in Boston and Seth Waxman for bet-the-company litigation in Washington DC.
- BTI Consulting Group recognized WilmerHale as the “Most-Favored IP Department” in the nation, one of two firms that are the “Best at Complex IP Litigation,” one of six firms identified as “Go To IP Litigation Firms,” and one of five firms called out as “Go To IP Firms” (for non-litigation IP work) in the BTI Intellectual Property Outlook 2015 report. WilmerHale was named as an “IP Litigation Standout”—among the top 5% of all firms—in the recent editions of the BTI Litigation Outlook.
- Chambers USA and Chambers Global consistently recognize WilmerHale as a leading law firm in multiple areas of litigation, including antitrust, appellate, commercial litigation, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, intellectual property, international arbitration, Native American law, securities and white-collar crime and government investigations.
- Chambers UK consistently recognizes our International Arbitration practice in the top tier, calling it an “outstanding international arbitration practice with an enviable track record handling complex institutional and ad hoc arbitrations” and “one of the most impressive firms in the market, with the greatest strength being their excellence in advocacy."
- Global Competition Review honored WilmerHale with the Litigation of the Year–Cartel Defence award in 2019 for its work in an auto parts antitrust class action. In 2018, GCR honored WilmerHale with the same award for its representation of the largest German airline in a preliminary hearing before the English High Court.
- Global Investigations Review has repeatedly recognized WilmerHale, including by ranking it the number one leading investigations and compliance practice on its 2017 GIR 30 list and among the top five on the list in 2020. GIR also named WilmerHale the Most Impressive Investigations Practice of the Year in 2016.
- IAM Patent 1000 ranked WilmerHale as a leading firm for litigation in the US and UK, and in regional US rankings in California, Colorado, the DC Metro area, Massachusetts and New York (2018–2021).
- Law360 named WilmerHale a “Native American Practice Group of the Year” in 2019, “Appellate Group of the Year” (2011–2017) and “IP Group of the Year” (2012–2016).
- The Legal 500 United States consistently ranks WilmerHale’s litigation practice in the areas of international trade, patent litigation, appellate and US Supreme Court litigation, international arbitration, securities litigation, and white collar criminal defense.
- The Legal 500 UK ranked the firm in the top tier for international arbitration and praised the firm for its “excellent service and analysis of cases."
- Managing IP honored WilmerHale as the winner of the 2020 Patent Contentious Firm of the Year Award for the Northeast region. In 2019, Managing IP named WilmerHale the United States Patent Contentious Firm of the Year, and recognized Bill Lee and Mindy Sooter as Outstanding Litigator of the Year for Massachusetts and Colorado, respectively. The publication also named the firm Patent Contentious Firm of the Year in 2016–2017 and from 2011–2014 and has repeatedly recognized some of its matters as “Milestone Cases of the Year.”
- The National Law Journal has named WilmerHale to its Appellate Hot List for 12 consecutive years, which honors firms that have achieved significant appellate wins during the past year and have an impressive track record overall. The firm also won the white collar defense category in its 2019 DC Litigation Departments of the Year contest and was named 2017 Washington DC Litigation Department of the Year in the General Litigation category.
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers regularly ranks several of the firm’s litigation practices in its the first tier nationally, as well as in Boston, New York and Washington DC. These practices include antitrust, appellate, bankruptcy, commercial, criminal defense: white collar, first amendment, intellectual property, patent, regulatory enforcement and securities litigation.
- Who’s Who Legal has ranked several WilmerHale attorneys among the world’s leading arbitration and investigations lawyers, as voted on by clients and peers.