Trial Co-Chairs Hallie Levin and Joseph Mueller Spotlighted as ‘Litigation Leaders’ in Litigation DailyRecognition
Brought hundreds of matters to trial over the past decade and served as lead litigation counsel in hundreds of major patent, copyright and trademark cases for clients in technology, life sciences, broadcasting and other industries.
Participated in more than 650 international arbitration proceedings and handled disputes in over 70 legal systems.
Handled many sensitive cases involving regulatory, governmental and public policy issues in which the litigation strategy was coordinated with the client's regulatory, legislative and other political objectives.
Defended hundreds of securities class actions for technology companies, investment banks, broker-dealers and financial services firms.
Advised multinational companies in negotiations with governments throughout the world regarding litigation brought in US courts that raised issues of international law.
Counseled more than 65 public and other companies and individuals in the United States and internationally on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and anti-corruption issues.
Handled hundreds of False Claims Act matters as lead counsel over the past decade.
Represented upwards of 600 pro bono clients since 2013, achieving life-changing results for individuals and making major contributions on issues of equal justice in the United States and internationally.
We have experience across industries, including aviation; bankruptcy and commercial; communications; defense and national security; government contracts; energy, environment and natural resources; financial institutions; labor and employment; and trade.
Appellate Hot List
The National Law Journal
Litigation Department of the Year Finalist
The American Lawyer
Competition Practice Group of the Year
- The American Lawyer named WilmerHale the 2020 Law Firm of the Year, and a finalist in its 2021 and 2018 Litigation Department of the Year contests. The magazine also recognized the firm with its IP Litigation Department of the Year title twice (in 2014 and 2008) and named it a finalist in the category six times since the publication first awarded it in 2004.
- Benchmark Litigation recognized several WilmerHale attorneys in a wide array of litigation practice areas including Antitrust, Appellate, Bankruptcy, Commercial, Criminal, Intellectual Property, Securities and White-Collar Litigation in 2021.
- Best Lawyers in America regularly recognizes WilmerHale partners. In 2022, the firm received 26 national and 72 metro-area first-tier rankings, as well as numerous rankings across Boston, Denver, New York City, San Francisco, San Jose and Washington DC. WilmerHale was also named Law Firm of the Year in Patent Law for the second consecutive year. In 2021, it named eight lawyers from WilmerHale in its 2022 Best Lawyers in the UK edition.
- Chambers USA and Chambers Global consistently recognize WilmerHale as a leading law firm in multiple areas of litigation, including antitrust, appellate, commercial litigation, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, intellectual property, international arbitration, Native American law, securities and white-collar crime and government investigations.
- Chambers UK consistently recognizes our International Arbitration practice in the top tier, calling it an “outstanding international arbitration practice with an enviable track record handling complex institutional and ad hoc arbitrations” and “one of the most impressive firms in the market, with the greatest strength being their excellence in advocacy."
- Chambers Europe 2021: Leadings Lawyers for Business recommends 10 lawyers and three practice areas, including arbitration (international), competition/European law and TMT: Data Protection.
- Global Competition Review recognized WilmerHale on its 2021 shortlist for Litigation of the Year–Cartel Defence award for work in Mexican government bonds antitrust litigation. In 2019, GCR honored WilmerHale with the Litigation of the Year–Cartel Defence award in 2019 for its work in an auto parts antitrust class action. In 2018, GCR honored WilmerHale with the same award for its representation of the largest German airline in a preliminary hearing before the English High Court.
- Global Investigations Review has repeatedly recognized WilmerHale, including by ranking it the number one leading investigations and compliance practice on its 2017 GIR 30 list and among the top five on the list since 2015. GIR also named WilmerHale the Most Impressive Investigations Practice of the Year in 2016 and a finalist in 2021.
- IAM Patent 1000 ranked WilmerHale as a leading firm for litigation in the US and UK, and in regional US rankings in California, Colorado, the DC Metro area, Massachusetts and New York (2018–2021).
- Law360 named WilmerHale a “Competition Practice Group of the Year” in 2020, “Native American Practice Group of the Year” in 2019, “Appellate Group of the Year” (2011–2017) and “IP Group of the Year” (2012–2016).
- The Legal 500 United States consistently ranks WilmerHale’s litigation practice in the areas of international trade, patent litigation, appellate and US Supreme Court litigation, international arbitration, securities litigation, trials and white collar criminal defense.
- The Legal 500 UK ranked the firm in the top tier for international arbitration and praised the firm for its “excellent service and analysis of cases."
- Managing IP named WilmerHale among the top US firms for intellectual property (2011-2021). The publication also honored WilmerHale as the winner of the 2022 and 2020 Patent Contentious Firm of the Year Award for the Northeast region. For three years, Managing IP named WilmerHale the United States Patent Contentious Firm of the Year, and the firm was recognized with the Impact Case of the Year Award for Intel v. Qualcomm (2022) and Mission Products Holdings Inc v. Tempnology LLC (2020).
- The National Law Journal has named WilmerHale to its Appellate Hot List for 13 consecutive years, which honors firms that have achieved significant appellate wins during the past year and have an impressive track record overall. In 2021, the firm was named a finalist in their DC Litigation Department of the Year General Litigation contest and a winner in their 2019 Litigation Department of the Year White Collar contest and their 2017 Litigation Department of the Year General Litigation contest.
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers regularly ranks several of the firm’s litigation practices in its the first tier nationally, as well as in Boston, Denver, New York, San Francisco, San Jose and Washington DC. These practices include antitrust, appellate, bankruptcy, commercial, criminal defense: white collar, first amendment, intellectual property, patent, regulatory enforcement and securities litigation.
- Who’s Who Legal has ranked several WilmerHale attorneys among the world’s leading arbitration, competition and investigations lawyers, as voted on by clients and peers.