Appellate and Supreme Court Litigation
National Tier 1 in Appellate Practice 2021
U.S. News – Best Lawyers
CONSISTENTLY RECOGNIZED AS A TOP-TIER FIRM
Appellate Hot List 2021
The National Law Journal
NAMED TO THIS LIST FOR THE 12TH CONSECUTIVE YEAR
Top-Tier Appellate Practice
The Legal 500 United States
TIER 1 RANKING IN 2020
- Chambers USA has recognized the firm’s Appellate and Supreme Court Litigation Practice since 2005, including with Band 1 rankings in 2018–2021. Clients praise the group, saying "they have an incredibly deep appellate bench with experience at all circuits as well as the Supreme Court that is second to none." Partner Seth Waxman is consistently cited as a star individual, with sources calling him "simply the best appellate lawyer in the country right now" and a "powerhouse." Partner Paul Wolfson is described as a "wonderful writer and a phenomenal thinker," and Partner Danielle Spinelli is described as “utterly brilliant” and someone who “thinks things through in a way that eludes most lawyers.”
- The National Law Journal named WilmerHale to its Appellate Hot List for 12 consecutive years. In the National Law Journal’s 2021 Legal Awards, WilmerHale was named to both the Pro Bono and Appellate Hot Lists and is a finalist for the Washington DC General Litigation Department of the Year.
- In U.S. News - Best Lawyers' 2013–2021 Best Law Firms rankings, our Appellate and Supreme Court Litigation Practice ranked in the first tier nationally and in Boston and Washington DC, and was named the 2019 First Amendment Litigation Firm of the Year.
- IAM Patent 1000 again ranked WilmerHale a leading firm in 2020 and 2021 for litigation internationally and nationally in the US. The firm is also recognized in California, Colorado, Massachusetts, New York, Washington DC and the UK.
- In 2020, The Legal 500 United States again ranked WilmerHale's Appellate and Supreme Court Litigation Practice in the top tier in its annual guidebook, naming Partner Seth Waxman to its Hall of Fame and Partner Danielle Spinelli a "Next Generation Lawyer" in the category of "Dispute Resolution: Appellate." It has also commended the firm for its “superb pedigree before the US Supreme Court.”
- Law360 named WilmerHale’s Appellate and Supreme Court Litigation Practice a “Practice Group of the Year” for the 2010–2016 and 2019 editions. This annual series highlights up to five practice groups that notched the biggest litigation victories or deals of the year. The publication has also recognized Partner Mark Fleming as an “MVP of the Year” with distinction in appellate law (2011), Partner Seth Waxman as an “Appellate MVP of the Year” (2014) and Partner Tom Saunders as an “Appellate MVP of the Year” (2015).
- WilmerHale received Managing IP's 2020 Impact Case of the Year award for its work for Mission Product Holdings, Inc. in Mission Product Holdings Inc v. Tempnology LLC. The firm received the same award in 2019 for its work for PNC Bank in PNC Bank National Association v Secure Axcess. In 2015, WilmerHale and Partner Seth Waxman received Managing IP's Supreme Court Milestone Case of the Year award for the successful representation of POM in POM Wonderful v. Coca-Cola.
- The American Lawyer named WilmerHale the 2020 Law Firm of the Year and a finalist in its 2021 and 2018 Litigation Department of the Year contests. The magazine also recognized the firm with its IP Litigation Department of the Year title twice and has named WilmerHale a finalist in the category six times since first awarding it in 2004.
- Washingtonian magazine has named Partner Seth Waxman among "Washington's Best Lawyers" and Partner Danielle Spinelli a top Supreme Court lawyer.