Appellate and Supreme Court Litigation
National Tier 1 in Appellate Practice 2019
U.S. News – Best Lawyers
CONSISTENTLY RECOGNIZED AS A TOP-TIER FIRM
Appellate Hot List 2018
The National Law Journal
NAMED TO THIS LIST FOR THE 11TH CONSECUTIVE YEAR
Top-Tier Appellate Practice
The Legal 500 United States
TIER 1 RANKING IN 2018
- The National Law Journal included WilmerHale's appellate group in the "Appellate Hot List" in 2018 for the 11th consecutive year. In addition, Partners Mark Fleming and Danielle Spinelli were named Appellate Lawyer of the Week in 2011 and 2010, respectively. The National Law Journal also named WilmerHale the 2017 Washington DC Litigation Department of the Year in the General Litigation category.
- Chambers USA 2016 recognized the firm's appellate practice with a top-tier ranking nationally. Clients praise the group, saying "they have an incredibly deep appellate bench with experience at all circuits as well as the Supreme Court that is second to none." In 2016, Partner Seth Waxman was cited as a star individual, with sources calling him "simply the best appellate lawyer in the country right now" and a "superb writer and oral advocate." Partner Paul Wolfson is described as a "very experienced lawyer," and Partner Danielle Spinelli is noted as an up-and-coming appellate litigator. The group has been recognized by Chambers every year since 2005.
- In January 2016, former US Solicitor General and chair of WilmerHale's Appellate and Supreme Court Litigation Practice Seth Waxman was recognized as Litigator of the Year by The American Lawyer. Waxman argued his 75th case before the US Supreme Court on December 2, 2015.
- In April 2016, Partners Thomas Saunders and Catherine Carroll were named two of Law360's six Appellate Rising Stars. Partner Felicia Ellsworth was also selected as one of five Trial Rising Stars.
- Law360 has named the practice “Group of the Year” for six consecutive years (2011-2016) in its annual series recognizing firms that have played a key role in the significant matters that made headlines and changed the legal landscape within the past year. The publication has also recognized Partner Mark Fleming as an “MVP of the Year” with distinction in appellate law (2011) and Partner Seth Waxman as an Appellate MVP of the Year (2014).
- According to Law360, in the 2013 Supreme Court term, WilmerHale had more arguments than any other firm, with seven in the term. In addition, the firm's five wins were the most achieved by any firm.
- WilmerHale, along with Partner Seth Waxman, received Managing IP's 2015 Supreme Court Milestone Case of the Year award for the successful representation of POM in POM Wonderful v. Coca-Cola.
- The Legal 500 United States ranked WilmerHale's appellate practice in the top tier in the 2012 edition of its annual guidebook, and commended the firm for its “superb pedigree before the US Supreme Court.”
- In U.S. News - Best Lawyers' 2013-2017 Best Law Firms rankings, our appellate practice ranked in the first tier nationally and in Boston and Washington DC.
- Benchmark Litigation 2013 recognized WilmerHale's appellate practice nationally. In addition, Benchmark Appellate 2013 specifically praised our Appellate and Supreme Court Litigation Practice with a first-tier national ranking and highly recommended our group in Washington DC and in the US Courts of Appeal for the First and Federal Circuits.