Mergers and Acquisitions
View the Webinar Materials: Tech M&A in the Age of COVID-19Event
2020 M&A Report—A Global M&A Market Review and OutlookPublications
Represented Thermo Fisher Scientific in the sale of its Anatomical Pathology business to PHC Holdings Corporation for $1.1 billion; in its acquisition of Gatan for $925 million; in its acquisition of the Alfa Aesar research chemicals business of Johnson Matthey for approximately $405 million; in the acquisition of Finesse Solutions for $221 million; and in the sale of its cell culture, gene modulation and magnetic beads businesses to GE Healthcare for $1.06 billion.
Represented MKS Instruments, a global provider of technologies that enable advanced processes and improve productivity, in its acquisition of Electro Scientific Industries, an innovator in laser-based manufacturing solutions for the micro-machining industry, for approximately $1 billion.
Represented Analogic, a provider of leading-edge healthcare and security solutions, in its acquisition by Altaris Capital Partners for $1.1 billion.
Represented CIRCOR International, a leading provider of flow control solutions and other highly engineered products for markets including oil and gas, aerospace, power, process and general industrial, in its acquisition of Colfax Fluid Handling from Colfax Corporation for $855 million.
Represented Staples in its acquisition by Sycamore Partners for $6.9 billion.
Represented Akamai Technologies in numerous M&A transactions, including its acquisitions of Janrain, a pioneer of the customer identity access management (CIAM) category; Nominum, a provider of DNS-based security solutions; Prolexic Technologies, a provider of cloud-based security solutions; and Soha Systems, a provider of cloud-based secure remote-access solutions.
Represented Regal Entertainment Group in its acquisition by Cineworld Group PLC for $5.9 billion.
Represented Kadant, a leading global supplier of equipment and critical components used in process industries, in its acquisition of Syntron Material Handling Group and certain of its affiliates for $179 million.
Represented WEX Inc., a leading provider of corporate payment solutions, in its acquisition of Noventis, an electronic payments network focused on optimizing payment delivery for bills and invoices to commercial entities, and Electronic Funds Source LLC (EFS), a provider of customized corporate payment solutions for fleet and corporate customers.
Represented Lydall, a provider of specialty engineered products for the thermal/acoustical and filtration/separation markets, in its acquisition of Interface Performance Materials, a provider of gasket and specialty materials, for $265 million.
Represented Fortive in its acquisition of Gordian, a privately held provider of construction cost data, software and service, for $775 million.
Represented Vail Resorts in its acquisition of Triple Peaks, the parent company of Okemo Mountain Resort in Vermont, Mount Sunapee Resort in New Hampshire and Crested Butte Mountain Resort in Colorado, as well as in its separate purchase of Stevens Pass Resort in Washington from Ski Resort Holdings.
Represented AdsWizz, an adtech startup focusing exclusively on digital audio advertising, in its acquisition by Pandora, the world’s most powerful music discovery platform, through a reverse triangular merger.
Represented Crane & Co., Inc., the manufacturer of currency paper for the US government since 1802, in its acquisition by Crane Co., a diversified manufacturer of highly engineered industrial products, for $800 million.
Represented Mitobridge, a company dedicated to delivering therapeutics that improve mitochondrial function, in its acquisition by Astellas Pharma for $450 million.
Represented a special committee of Hilton Worldwide Holdings in a transaction with HNA Group and Blackstone, in which HNA acquired approximately 25% equity interest in Hilton from affiliates of Blackstone, establishing a long-term strategic investment in Hilton and Hilton’s planned spin-offs of Park Hotels & Resorts and Hilton Grand Vacations.
Among the Top Leading Mergers & Acquisitions Practices in Massachusetts and Washington DC
Recommended for Mergers & Acquisitions
The Legal 500 United States
Mergers & Acquisitions Deal of the Year Award
The M&A Advisor
- Chambers Global – Recognized 34 WilmerHale lawyers and 27 practice areas in its 2020 edition.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – Named our corporate practice among the best in 2020, with sources saying that WilmerHale provides “excellent service and quality advice and representation” and is “very knowledgeable” with “a deep wealth of information on matters impacting rapidly growing venture-backed startups.” The current edition of Chambers USA also ranked WilmerHale in the following related regions and practices: nationwide for Startups & Emerging Companies; Massachusetts for Corporate/M&A, Private Equity: Venture Capital Investment and Technology; and Washington DC for Corporate/M&A & Private Equity. WilmerHale was also ranked among the top FinTech law firms in the US in its 2020 FinTech guide.
- The Legal 500 United States – Recommended WilmerHale’s Mergers and Acquisitions Practice in the areas of antitrust, corporate governance, commercial deals and contracts, M&A middle-market, and venture capital and emerging companies in its 2010-2020 editions.
- Best Lawyers in America – Recognized 124 WilmerHale partners for 2019, naming 11 as “Lawyers of the Year.”
- American Lawyer – WilmerHale’s representation of Hilton Worldwide Holdings in their $6.5 billion investment by HNA Group was selected as the 2017 Global Finance Deal of the Year under the Acquisition Finance category.
- Corporate Board Member – In 2014, 2016 and 2018, the most recent edition, WilmerHale was named to Top National Corporate Law Firms list, a comprehensive ranking of the top 25 firms in the nation. Results are based on law firm surveys and feedback from thousands of directors and general counsels.
- Law360 – Named WilmerHale a Technology Practice Group of the Year for 2016–2018, an award recognizing the firm’s key role in the significant matters that made headlines and changed the legal landscape within the past year.
- Super Lawyers – Our corporate lawyers are consistently recognized as “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars” in multiple jurisdictions.
- The International Financial Law Review – Named WilmerHale to its shortlist of nominees for its 2018 Deals of the Year Award.
- The M&A Advisor – Honored WilmerHale with the Chapter 11 Reorganization Award in 2019 for its work in advising Argos Therapeutics in an asset sale, and previously honored WilmerHale with the 2017 Deal of the Year award for representing Analog Devices.
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers® – In the 2010-2020 “Best Law Firms” rankings, our Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Venture Capital Practices were ranked in the first tier nationally and in Boston, along with our Corporate Practice also being ranked in the first tier in New York and Washington DC. Our Technology Practice was also ranked in the first tier in Boston and in the second tier nationally.