Mergers and Acquisitions
2021 M&A ReportPublications
Recent M&A Transactions: 2021
Life Sciences TransactionsRepresented Disarm Therapeutics in its acquisition by Eli Lilly for up to $1.225 billion; Emisphere Technologies in its acquisition by Novo Nordisk for $1.8 billion; Exonics Therapeutics in its acquisition by Vertex Pharmaceuticals for up to $1 billion; General Catalyst in the merger of Livongo and Teladoc Health, valued at $18.5 billion; PerkinElmer in its acquisition of Oxford Immunotec for $591 million; Potenza Therapeutics in its acquisition by Astellas Pharma for up to $405 million; PTC Therapeutics in its acquisition of Agilis Biotherapeutics for up to $945 million; and Thermo Fisher Scientific in its acquisitions of Gatan for $925 million, Finesse Solutions for $221 million, Phadia for $3.5 billion and the Alfa Aesar research chemicals business of Johnson Matthey for $405 million, and sales of its anatomical pathology business to PHC Holdings Corporation for $1.1 billion and its cell culture, gene modulation and magnetic beads businesses to GE Healthcare for $1.06 billion.
Technology TransactionsRepresented Acacia Communications in its acquisition by Cisco Systems for $4.5 billion; Affirmed Networks in its acquisition by Microsoft for $1.4 billion; Akamai Technologies in its acquisitions of Janrain for $125 million, Codemate for $107.5 million and Prolexic Technologies for $403 million; Analogic Corporation in its acquisition by Altaris Capital Partners for $1.1 billion; Endurance in its acquisition by affiliates of Clearlake Capital Group L.P. for $3 billion; Fortive in its acquisitions of Gordian for $775 million and Prüftechnik Dieter Busch (undisclosed); Genpact in its acquisition of RAGE Frameworks for $125 million; MKS Instruments in its acquisitions of Electro Scientific Industries for $1 billion and Newport Corporation for $980 million and its proposed acquisition of Coherent for $6.1 billion; Progress Software in its acquisitions of Ipswitch, Inc. for $225 million and Chef for $220 million; and Rudolph Technologies in its merger with Nanometrics Incorporated, valued at $1.7 billion.
Financial Services and FinTech TransactionsRepresented Eaton Vance in is acquisition by Morgan Stanley for $7 billion; SoFi in its acquisition of Galileo Financial Technologies for $1.2 billion; and WEX in its acquisitions of Noventis for $310 million, Electronic Funds Source for $1.4 billion and eNett International (Jersey) Limited and Optal Limited for $1.275 billion.
Industrial and Other TransactionsRepresented Cumberland Farms in its acquisition by EG Group (undisclosed); Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in the pending divestiture of its HMH Books & Media business for $349 million and its sale of Riverside clinical and standardized testing business to Alpine Investors for $140 million; Kadant in its acquisition of Syntron Material Handling Group and certain of its affiliates for $179 million; Lydall in its acquisition of Interface Performance Materials for $265 million; Staples in its acquisition by Sycamore Partners for $6.9 billion; and Vail Resorts in its acquisitions of Triple Peaks for $237 million and Peak Resorts for $264 million.
SPAC TransactionsRepresenting private companies, underwriters, financial advisors, placement agents and private equity, venture capital, family offices and other investors in SPAC transactions and SPAC-related PIPEs and other investments, including in the following transactions: Thoma Bravo Advantage/ironSource; Longview Acquisition/Butterfly Network; Vesper Acquisition/Hydrafacial; Falcon Capital/Sharecare; and HighCape/Quantum SI.
Among the Top Leading Mergers & Acquisitions Practices in Massachusetts and Washington DC
Recommended for Mergers & Acquisitions
The Legal 500 United States
Recognized as a Top Mergers & Acquisitions Practice
U.S. News – Best Lawyers
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – Named our Corporate Practice among the best in 2020 and 2021, with sources saying that WilmerHale provides “excellent service and quality advice and representation” and is “very knowledgeable” with “a deep wealth of information on matters impacting rapidly growing venture-backed startups.” In the most recent edition, Chambers USA also ranked WilmerHale in the following related regions and practices: nationwide for Startups & Emerging Companies; California for Venture Capital; Massachusetts for Corporate/M&A, Private Equity: Venture Capital Investment and Technology; and Washington DC for Corporate/M&A & Private Equity. WilmerHale was also ranked among the top FinTech law firms in the United States in its 2020 FinTech guide.
- The Legal 500 United States – Recommended WilmerHale’s Mergers and Acquisitions practice for our work in the area of M&A: middle-market ($500M–999M) in its 2010–2021 editions.
- The American Lawyer – Named WilmerHale the 2020 Law Firm of the Year, and recognized the firm's representation of Hilton Worldwide Holdings in its $6.5 billion investment by HNA Group as the 2017 Global Finance Deal of the Year under the Acquisition Finance category.
- The M&A Advisor – Honored WilmerHale with the Chapter 11 Reorganization Award in 2019 for its work in advising Argos Therapeutics in an asset sale, and previously honored WilmerHale with the 2017 Deal of the Year award for representing Analog Devices.
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers® – In the 2010–2021 “Best Law Firms” rankings, our Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Venture Capital Practices were ranked in the first tier nationally and in Boston, along with our Corporate Practice also being ranked in the first tier in New York and Washington DC. Clients deemed our M&A Practice an “extremely dedicated team that was fully versed with the issues faced and provided excellent analysis and advice in a timely manner.” Our Technology Practice was also ranked in the first tier in Boston and in the second tier nationally.
- Corporate Board Member – In 2014, 2016 and 2018, WilmerHale was named to the Top National Corporate Law Firms list, a comprehensive ranking of the top 25 firms in the nation. Results are based on law firm surveys and feedback from thousands of directors and general counsels.
- Law360 – For three consecutive years, named WilmerHale a Technology Practice Group of the Year, an award recognizing the firm’s key role in the significant matters that made headlines and changed the legal landscape.
- Super Lawyers – Our corporate lawyers are consistently recognized as “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars” in multiple jurisdictions.
- The International Financial Law Review – Named WilmerHale to its shortlist of nominees for its 2018 Deals of the Year Award.
- Chambers Global – Recognized 32 WilmerHale lawyers and 27 practice areas in its 2021 edition.
- Best Lawyers in America – Recognized 129 WilmerHale partners for 2021, naming eight as “Lawyers of the Year.”