Hardware, Software, IT and ServicesOur clients in the ever-changing and fiercely competitive hardware, software, IT and services industries depend on us to strategize and negotiate transactions that take advantage of opportunities now while protecting their innovations and preserving flexibility for the future. We structure, negotiate and draft all types of licensing, distribution, product development, joint venture and strategic alliance agreements for these clients, often drawing on the deep experience of WilmerHale’s unique capabilities in regulatory, intellectual property, corporate and tax law. We represent both mature and emerging companies with business models centered around offering software and/or professional services relating to analyzing and extracting insights from large data sets. We frequently draft and negotiate data license agreements, software-as-a-service (SaaS) agreements, website terms and other services agreements in which data is the core subject of the license. We also advise technology clients on big data issues that arise in outsourcing, joint venture and other transactional matters. Our attorneys keep a close watch on internet-related legislative and regulatory developments in the United States, the European Union and elsewhere, and leverage our up-to-the-minute knowledge to advise clients in areas such as data privacy and security, copyright infringement, and export restrictions.
Life SciencesFor companies in the life sciences sphere, licensing intellectual property and establishing strategic alliances are critical. WilmerHale’s experienced licensing lawyers shepherd biotech, pharmaceutical, healthcare and medical device clients of all sizes through the complex transactions that make their businesses possible, including a broad range of licensing, collaboration, strategic alliance and joint venture agreements. Our attorneys also excel at brokering manufacturing and supply agreements, contract research and development agreements, distribution and commercialization services agreements, and material transfer and confidentiality agreements. They also frequently represent life sciences clients as they license patents—often the foundations of their companies—from, and sponsor research at, leading academic institutions across the United States and Europe. Backed not only by their own experience but also the deep well of knowledge possessed by the firm’s patent, tax, antitrust and EU competition lawyers, our transactional attorneys are ready to handle even the most multifaceted matters. Our team helps clients protect their innovations, forge strategic alliances, and successfully navigate a complex, dynamic industry.
Our Outsourcing Practice supports clients who seek comprehensive assistance in negotiating and managing complex outsourcing contractual arrangements, and our lawyers have represented many leading global corporations and financial institutions. We address all major legal and regulatory elements of these transactions—including privacy and data security, intellectual property, employment, tax, governance, and dispute resolution—and apply years of practical experience to assist our clients in structuring agreements that enhance their long-term performance and are consistent with their strategic objectives. Our attorneys have extensive experience and we have represented clients in more than 200 major outsourcing transactions. As a result, we have a robust understanding of the domestic and international commercial outsourcing marketplaces. We have experienced outsourcing lawyers based in the United States and Europe, and the practice is consistently recognized by numerous rankings organizations and publications.
We assist our clients in all aspects of outsourcing transactions, including preparing and negotiating the services agreement and related exhibits, and continue to advise clients throughout the negotiations and life cycle of the relationships. We are quite familiar with emerging outsourcing models and new technologies that are influencing the marketplace, such as cloud computing and autonomic. We have extensive experience representing clients in virtually every industry, including retail, manufacturing, banking and other financial services, insurance, technology, general commercial, telecommunications, construction, healthcare and medical devices, transportation, electronics, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals, internet and e-commerce, and business services. Our lawyers have represented clients on the outsourcing of virtually every type of IT and BPO service, including data center and other infrastructure, application development, network services, finance and accounting functions, procurement, call center, mortgage processing, insurance and other claims, and HR services. We also have a particular depth of experience with legal compliance issues faced by regulated businesses and can draw upon the experience of our leading Financial Institutions and Securities Practices when needed.
Among the Best Firms in Massachusetts for Technology
Life Cycle Firm of the Year
LMG Life Sciences
Top Law Firm for Technology Transactions
The Legal 500
- Chambers Global – Recognized 28 WilmerHale lawyers and 28 practice areas, including our Technology and Life Sciences Practices (International & Cross Border), in its 2022 edition.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – Named our Technology Practice among the best in Massachusetts in its 2020-2022 editions.
- The Legal 500 United States – Recognized WilmerHale’s Technology Transactions and Licensing practice among top law firms for our work in the areas of Outsourcing and Technology Transactions in its 2010–2023 editions.
- Best Lawyers in America – Recognized 118 WilmerHale attorneys for 2022, naming 9 as “Lawyers of the Year.”
- Law360 – Named WilmerHale a Technology Practice Group of the Year from 2016-2018 and 2022, an award recognizing the firm’s key role in the significant matters that made headlines and changed the legal landscape within the past year.
- LMG Life Sciences – Named WilmerHale the Life Cycle Firm of the Year in 2023 – for the eleventh consecutive year. Awarded the firm a Finance and Transactional Impact Case of the Year Award in 2017 for counseling Editas Medicine in its licensing and collaboration with Allergan, and a Hatch-Waxman Impact Case of the Year Award in 2018.
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers® – In the 2010–2023 “Best Law Firms” rankings, our Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Venture Capital Practices were ranked in the first tier nationally and in Boston, along with our Corporate Practice also being ranked in the first tier in New York and Washington DC. Our Technology Practice was also ranked in the first tier nationally and in Boston.
- IAM Patent 1000 – Ranked as a leading firm for litigation in the US and UK, and in regional US rankings in California, Colorado, the DC Metro area, Massachusetts and New York (2018–2021).
- In Vivo – Named Regeneron’s novel deal with Decibel Therapeutics, represented by WilmerHale, as the Top Alliance 2017 Deal of the Year.