We work with founders to properly set up their companies; review business plans and identify key strengths and weaknesses before approaching financing sources; license core technology; develop strategies to obtain funding and negotiate terms for initial and later-stage financings; prepare and implement key agreements with management, employees, consultants and advisors; design equity incentive plans; and advise clients on how best to achieve liquidity. We also attend board meetings and offer strategic advice and counseling on important business decisions, as well as guidance on forming and running an effective board of directors and board of advisors.
Our lawyers represent a variety of life sciences and technology companies, including those in industries such as artificial intelligence and robotics, big data, biotechnology, cybersecurity, digital health, energy, FinTech, hardware and software, medical devices, and mobile technology, amongst others.
In addition to our corporate experience, we are able to tap into the deep knowledge of the more than 120 attorneys who hold degrees in a variety of technical and scientific fields. As a result, we have a sophisticated understanding of the important technical and intellectual property issues facing companies in any of these sectors.
WilmerHale represents both venture capital firms and venture-backed companies in industries such as artificial intelligence and robotics, big data, biotechnology, cybersecurity, digital health, energy, FinTech, hardware and software, medical devices, and mobile technology, amongst others. We are counsel to more venture-backed companies in the eastern half of the United States than any other law firm in the country, and have a growing presence on the West Coast and in the European and Israeli venture capital communities.
Our extensive experience with emerging companies allows us to efficiently manage standard venture capital financings and effectively navigate more complex transactions on behalf of investors. We have represented venture capitalists for more than five decades and have assisted some of the earliest venture capital firms in their initial investments. Today, we continue to represent many premier venture capital firms in portfolio investments.
Our practical, problem-solving approach and our collective experience in both corporate and intellectual property issues enable us to cost-effectively protect investors' interests. As a result, we can conduct sophisticated due diligence—including landscape analyses of competitors' patents, clearance studies and patent portfolio audits—and provide opinions and advice regarding patentability, infringement, validity and freedom to operate.
WilmerHale represents numerous venture capital funds, hedge funds, real estate investment partnerships, REITs and other investment entities in connection with all aspects of their organization, management, operation and regulatory compliance. Our fund clients also draw on the extensive resources of our corporate, litigation, private client, tax and other practices for their investment activities and internal management and administration needs.
WilmerHale's QuickLaunch Program is a platform for qualified startups and entrepreneurs to receive the critical guidance and legal advice they need to get off the ground and gain a competitive advantage. QuickLaunch members have access to a community of like-minded entrepreneurs who face many of the same challenges related to their new ventures.
Additional benefits include:
- introductions to venture capitalists, angels and other investors;
- access to potential recruits, mentors, advisors and preferred providers;
- an audience of peers and influencers to help refine and promote your startup;
- invitations to educational events and webinars on a range of issues relevant to entrepreneurs and startups;
- legal guidance on everything from company formation, expansion and patent protection to securing financing and exit strategies; and
- the ability to manage legal expenses cost-effectively using technology solutions and deferred, fixed and/or discounted rates.
Through the QuickLaunch Program, our lawyers leverage their institutional knowledge and deep experience to deliver services on a responsive and efficient basis.
2023 IPO, Venture Capital and M&A ReportsPublication
- Atom Computing, a developer of quantum computers, in its $60 million Series B financing round.
- BandLab, a social music platform designed to create and share content with musicians and fans, in its $53 million Series B financing round.
- Dedrone, an automated drone security platform, in its $60.5 million Series C financing round.
- DriveWealth, a pioneer in fractional trading and embedded finance, in its $450 million Series D funding round.
- Fervo Energy, a provider of clean energy technology, in its $138 million Series C financing round.
- Flare Therapeutics, a developer of medicines designed for precision oncology, in its $123 million Series B financing round.
- GentiBio, a biotherapeutics company developing engineered regulatory T cell therapies, in its $157 million Series A financing round.
- GiveCampus, a social fundraising platform designed to help non-profit educational institutions, in its $50 million Series A financing round.
- Infinium, an alternate energy producer with the goal of decarbonizing the transportation sector, in its $69 million Series B financing round.
- Immuta, an AI data management software developer, in a $90 million late stage financing round.
- Introhive, one of the fastest-growing AI-powered sales and revenue acceleration platforms, in its $100 million Series C financing round.
- Orna Therapeutics, a biotechnology company pioneering engineered circular therapies, in its $221 million Series B financing round.
- Rectify Therapeutics, a company developing therapies to treat genetic disorders, in its $100 million Series A financing round.
- Righthand Robotics, a developer of supply chain logistics equipment, in its $66 million Series C financing round.
- Tenderly, an Ethereum Blockchain startup, in its $40 million Series B funding round.
- Verdox, a developer of sustainable technologies focused on reversing climate change, in its $80 million Series A financing round.
- Volastra Therapeutics, a clinical stage cancer biotechnology company focused on exploiting chromosomal instability (CIN), in its $60 million Series A financing round.
- Workit Health, a digital healthcare company that provides online and in-person care, in its $118 million Series C financing round.
- Workrise, a workforce management solution for the industrial trades, in a $300 million Series D financing round.
- Represented investors such as Bessemer Venture Partners, Casdin Capital, General Catalyst, Khosla Ventures, Pear Ventures, RA Capital, Samsara BioCapital, Spark Capital, and Wellington Management, among numerous others, in venture financings.
Recognized as a Top Firm in the Nation for Startups & Emerging Companies
Recommended for Venture Capital and Emerging Companies
The Legal 500 United States
Named a Leading Law Firm for Venture Capital Law
U.S. News - Best Lawyers®
- Chambers USA Guide – Again named our corporate practice among the best in 2023, with sources saying that WilmerHale's corporate team is “proactive in its thinking” and are “very strategic thinkers.” The current edition of Chambers USA also ranked WilmerHale in the following related regions and practices: nationwide for Startups & Emerging Companies; California for Venture Capital; Massachusetts for Corporate/M&A, Private Equity: Venture Capital Investment, and Technology; and Washington DC for Corporate/M&A & Private Equity. WilmerHale was also ranked among the top FinTech law firms in the US in its 2021 FinTech guide.
- The Legal 500 United States – Recognized WilmerHale among top law firms for our work in the area of Venture Capital and Emerging Companies in its 2010–2023 editions.
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers® – Recognized in the 2010–2023 “Best Law Firms” rankings. In the 2023 rankings, our corporate, mergers and acquisitions, and venture capital law practices were ranked in the first tier nationally and in Boston, and our corporate law practice was also ranked in the first tier in Colorado, New York and Washington DC. A source describes our venture capital practice as “impeccable and indispensable. They answer the questions, identify the guardrails, and draw on their experience to help us anticipate strategic opportunities. Their superb legal guidance has allowed us to focus on business growth.”
- Best Lawyers in America – Recognized 129 WilmerHale partners for 2021, naming eight as “Lawyers of the Year.”
- Corporate Board Member – In 2014, 2016 and 2018, the most recent edition, WilmerHale was named to Top National Corporate Law Firms list, a comprehensive ranking of the top 25 firms in the nation. Results are based on law firm surveys and feedback from thousands of directors and general counsel.
- Law360 – Named WilmerHale a Technology Practice Group of the Year in 2016-2018 and 2022, an award recognizing the firm’s key role in the significant matters that made headlines and changed the legal landscape, for three consecutive years.
- LMG Life Sciences – Named WilmerHale the US Life Cycle Firm of the Year in 2017–2022 and among the shortlist from 2012–2023. LMG has also ranked the firm in its 2012–2022 editions in corporate, licensing and collaboration, M&A, venture capital and several other practice areas, and named 22 WilmerHale lawyers as “life sciences stars.”
- Super Lawyers – Our corporate lawyers are consistently recognized as “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars” in multiple jurisdictions.