Mr. Coviello focuses his practice on intellectual property and appellate litigation. He has litigated cases involving a wide variety of technologies, including microprocessors, WiFi chips, internet phone services, smartphones, smartphone apps, cloud computing and data storage, computer and network security, remote access software, therapeutic antibodies, financial services, and medical devices. He has litigated on behalf of clients in district courts, the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the Supreme Court, and the Federal Trade Commission.
Mr. Coviello has experience litigating at all stages of patent disputes, from the filing of the complaint through Supreme Court appeal. He has argued successfully in district court, has defended the depositions of key trial witnesses and technical experts, and has taken depositions of opposing parties’ executives, technical experts and patent inventors. He also has taken a leading role in drafting the briefing for nine Federal Circuit appeals.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Coviello clerked for the Honorable Arthur J. Gajarsa of the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. From 2002 to 2005, Mr. Coviello served as Senator John Kerry’s legislative correspondent for economic policy.
Since 2013, Mr. Coviello has represented WilmerHale as a member of the planning committee for the annual US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit Bench and Bar Conference.
Mr. Coviello is a member of the California-Israel Chamber of Commerce and the Brown University Club of Silicon Valley.
- Represented biotechnology company in Federal Circuit appeal overturning the then largest patent infringement verdict in history
- Represented software company in Supreme Court appeal upholding the clear-and-convincing standard to prove patent invalidity and preserving the then largest patent infringement verdict ever affirmed on appeal
- Represented remote access software company in obtaining a jury verdict of noninfringement in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia; also part of the appellate team that secured summary affirmance on appeal to the Federal Circuit
- Represented microprocessor company in obtaining summary judgment of noninfringement for a patent related to integrated circuit power management in the US District Court for the District of Delaware; also part of the appellate team that secured summary affirmance on appeal to the Federal Circuit
- Represented microprocessor company in Federal Circuit appeal affirming grant of summary judgment of noninfringement for a patent related to cache memory coherency
- Represented national bank in a five patent infringement suit brought by a large patent assertion entity; part of team that filed five successful Covered Business Method Review petitions with the US Patent Office challenging the asserted patents, resulting in dismissal with prejudice of all claims against our client
- Represented internet telephone company in a patent suit against a patent assertion entity; part of team that filed five Inter Partes Review petitions with the US Patent Office challenging the asserted patents, resulting in a favorable settlement
- Represented cloud computing and data storage company against a patent assertion entity in a consolidated Federal Circuit appeal of six Inter Partes Review proceedings at the US Patent Office; part of appellate team that secured summary affirmance of all six patent office proceedings
- Represented government agency in a trial upholding the validity of patents directed to certain varieties of table grapes in the US District Court for the Central District of California
- Represented award winning Afghan journalist in successful petition for political asylum in the United States
- Represented army veteran in successful appeal to the US Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims regarding his claim for disability benefits
Insights & News
JD, The George Washington University Law School, 2007with High Honors Order of the Coif; Member, The George Washington International Law Review; Member, The George Washington Moot Court Board
BS, Mathematics-Physics, Brown University, 2002with Honors
District of Columbia
The Hon. Arthur J. Gajarsa, US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2007 - 2008