Summer Program Details
The 2020 summer program demographics are displayed below.
34 7 2 2 6 4 13
Schools Represented 27 12 3 5 9 4 14
Summer Work Assignments
During the summer, you can work on assignments from a variety of the firm’s departments or concentrate in a few practice areas. In either case, our goal is to allow you to work with many lawyers and on intellectually stimulating assignments—similar in complexity to those handled by junior associates—thereby giving you an opportunity to demonstrate your writing, analytical and advocacy skills. In addition, you will be given opportunities to learn about our practice by accompanying lawyers to depositions, hearings, trials, client meetings, negotiations and closings. We also encourage you to participate in pro bono work for the firm’s existing clients or in special summer associate programs such as those run in partnership with Greater Boston Legal Services, Bread for the City, Los Angeles Regional Food Bank, Justice & Diversity Center and Sanctuary for Families.
You will be doing real work for real clients. See below for a sampling of summer associate assignments:
- Conduct legal research for a client who shares responsibility for $10 million worth of environmental clean-up and is concerned that the other involved party will file for bankruptcy to avoid its share of the clean-up costs.
- Prepare for and participate in an interview of an employee-witness in action brought by institutional investors against a large financial firm.
- Organize an overview of current Chinese policies on climate change for a coalition of large EU and US clean technology companies assessing the challenges of getting this country involved in their movement.
- Draft a memorandum suggesting potential forms of compensation or legal action for a man seeking to vacate a murder conviction after 26 years in prison based on newly discovered evidence that proves his innocence.
- Research, draft bylaws and articles of incorporation, and outline a plan of a merger agreement for a business that is considering merging into a newly established Delaware corporation.
- Join a team of attorneys preparing several witnesses to testify at the trial of the former head of a Russian oil company in Moscow. Assist with creating preparation outlines and researching Russian criminal procedure, as well as monitoring the trial, updating attorneys on the proceedings, and modifying preparation plans as appropriate.
- Examine country conditions in Tibet to support an application for asylum. Draft a letter brief based on current country reports and the client’s declaration and application for submission to USCIS.
- Conduct research for a high profile technology client that has been sued for the infringement of three patents.
- Compose a memorandum regarding the legal issues an entrepreneur needs to be mindful of in the early stages of companies. The memo will be given to clients of newly formed companies in order to provide a simple overview of ongoing legal issues that will arise and may hamper their efforts to obtain venture capital financing.
- Investigate the latest developments in cybersecurity on Capitol Hill, in the administration and in the industry.
- Attend interviews of employees of a client involved in an IP litigation matter concerning a generic challenge to a drug indicated for treatment of patients with acute coronary syndrome, including patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention.
Summer Mentoring and Training
You will have two mentors—usually one partner or counsel and one associate—who serve as advisors during the summer. These mentors introduce you to lawyers in the firm, provide day-to-day guidance and answer questions about how the firm works and the nuts-and-bolts of completing assignments.
We have developed a training program specifically for our summer associates, which is designed to introduce you to the practical skills lawyers need and to the topics that indicate what we value. Throughout the summer, we also want you to sample our training programs for our attorneys. Our goal is two-fold—to assist in your professional development and to give you a sample of the training we provide to our attorneys. Summer training topics include:
- presentation and oral communication skills;
- legal writing;
- negotiation skills;
- deposition skills;
- leadership training (with Bill Lee);
- corporate practice program; and
- intellectual property program.
We also strongly encourage you to expand your knowledge further by participating in firm and office-wide department meetings and lunches, many of which are geared specifically to welcoming you and introducing our colleagues and practice.
Attorneys you work with will give you constructive feedback informally throughout the summer. In addition, you will receive a review of your work and are encouraged to provide feedback about your experience.
Summer Social Events
In the summer of 2019, our programs held a variety of events including:
- glass blowing class;
- cooking classes;
- community service events;
- baseball games;
- sightseeing tours;
- casino nights;
- bowling outings; and
- bbqs, dinners and cocktail parties at partners’ homes.
We are committed to recruiting, retaining, developing and promoting the best legal talent. Accordingly, the total compensation package-base salary, bonus and benefits-for all lawyers at the firm is highly competitive with that of other major law firms.
We have a highly competitive total compensation package for all associates, senior associates and counsel that recognizes and rewards an individual lawyer’s skill level and the value of his or her overall contributions each year. Our performance-based model aligns well with our clients’ focus on value delivered, rather than simply hours billed. Our overall objective in implementing a performance-based compensation model was to recognize and reward strong performance at all levels, and to recognize and reward lawyers for the qualities and contributions that both the firm and our clients value most.
We provide a market lockstep base salary for associates, senior associates and counsel. The current base salary scale for associates and senior associates is:
Class WH Base Salary Levels 1st Year Associate $190,000 2nd Year Associate $200,000 3rd Year Associate $220,000 4th Year Senior Associate $255,000 5th Year Senior Associate $280,000 6th Year Senior Associate $305,000
Annual Performance Bonus
The annual performance bonus reflects our focus on the individual lawyer and his or her development. The bonus program incorporates our philosophy of rewarding overall contributions, including significant contributions to the success of the firm. Annual performance bonuses are discretionary and are based on firm performance, quality of substantive work, quality of client service, efficiency, productivity, teamwork, collegiality and other “citizenship” factors. The design of the bonus system ensures that each year, those who are meeting expectations for quality of performance and productivity receive total compensation that is market competitive, and that those who are exceeding our expectations receive total compensation that is above market.
We offer a highly competitive benefit package to our lawyers including:
- Health, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Disability and long-term care insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Mobile phones, laptops and remote network access
- Reduced hours and flextime arrangements
- Four weeks vacation annually
- Flexible spending and dependent care reimbursement accounts
- Bar expenses and CLE reimbursement
- Moving stipend
- Emergency child-care and in-home family care services
- Domestic partner benefits
- Onsite Fitness center access (Boston, DC and New York); subsidized health club membership (LA and Palo Alto)
- Onsite cafeteria (Boston, DC and New York)
- Counseling and referral programs
- Pre-tax parking/commuter programs; daily bicycle storage
- 529 College Savings Plan