Mark Selwyn is a partner in the Litigation/Controversy Department, co-chair of the Intellectual Property Litigation Practice Group and a member of the firm's Management Committee. He joined the firm in 1994.
Mr. Selwyn’s practice focuses on intellectual property litigation. Major corporations have relied on him to litigate biomedical, electrical, chemical, mechanical, and business method patents involving a diverse array of technologies, including wireless communications, electronic commerce, digital cameras, solid state disk drives, location sensing, biosensors, water and wastewater filtration, integrated circuits and angioplasty catheters. He has represented clients in dozens of patent and other intellectual property cases in federal courts throughout the country and before the International Trade Commission (ITC). Mr. Selwyn counts among his clients many of Silicon Valley’s most prominent technology companies.
Mr. Selwyn is a member of the California Bar Foundation's Board of Directors.
Recognized as an IP Star
Leading Lawyer for Intellectual Property
Top Intellectual Property Lawyer in California
- Recognized among "the finest law firm writers" of 2017 by the Burton Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2017 and 2018 edition of the Best Lawyers in America
- Named a leading IP practitioner in the 2016 World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR) guide
- Named to the Daily Journal's exclusive lists of the Top Intellectual Property Lawyers in California (2008-2016) and Top 100 Lawyers in California list (2013)
- Recognized for exceptional standing in the legal community in the area of intellectual property in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2005-2018 editions. Sources say "He is substantively excellent. He knows the law and is fantastic at all levels - from trial to appeal."
- Named a 2013-2017 leading practitioner in patent law by IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Practitioners
- Selected as a 2013-2018 IP Star by Managing IP, a guidebook that identifies leading IP lawyers in the United States
- Recommended by The Legal 500 United States for his work in patent litigation at the International Trade Commission
- Named a Life Sciences Star in the 2012-2017 editions of LMG Life Sciences for intellectual property
- Named as one of the "Top 100 Attorneys in Northern California" in 2011 and 2015 by Super Lawyers magazine
- Recognized in the 2009-2017 editions of Northern California Super Lawyers for his intellectual property litigation practice
- Named a "Local Litigation Star" and a "California Litigation Star" for Intellectual Property in the 2012 and 2013 editions of Benchmark Litigation
- Selected as one of Lawdragon Magazine's "500 Leading Lawyers in America" in 2013
- Recognized as a "Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star" in intellectual property litigation in the May 2005 edition of Boston Magazine
Insights & News
JD, Columbia Law School, 1993Harlan Fisk Stone Scholar; Articles Editor, Columbia Journal of Law and Social Problems
AB, Harvard University, 1990magna cum laude John Harvard Scholar
The Hon. Naomi Reice Buchwald, US District Court for the Southern District of New York, 1993 - 1994
State and Local GovernmentSpecial Assistant District Attorney, Middlesex County, Massachusetts