Michael Mugmon is a partner in WilmerHale's San Francisco Bay Area office. His practice focuses broadly on crisis management for companies and individuals facing significant regulatory actions and litigation. Specifically, Mr. Mugmon regularly conducts internal investigations into potential misconduct, defends clients in government enforcement actions involving the US Attorney's Office, the US Securities and Exchange Commission, state attorney general's offices and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, and handles complex commercial and securities litigation in federal and state court. He has experience in matters related to financial fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, accounting irregularities, anti-money laundering, insider trading, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, compliance and risk management, internal controls, and disclosure issues.
Mr. Mugmon joined the firm's Washington, DC office in 2003 and moved to the Palo Alto office in 2007 as a founding member of that office's government investigations and litigation practice. The Daily Journal recently named him one of California's top 20 lawyers under 40.
A graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Law School, Mr. Mugmon also serves on the firm's Pro Bono and Community Service Committee and Ethics Committee, as well as on the Palo Alto office's Hiring Committee.
Mr. Mugmon is a member of the American Bar Association and the Bars of California, Maryland and the District of Columbia.
- Representing consumer healthcare technology company Theranos Inc. in regulatory matters involving the US Attorney’s Office, the US Securities and Exchange Commission, and the Arizona Attorney General’s Office, and in class action litigation
- Represented Pacific Gas & Electric Co. in connection with development of regulatory compliance model
- Representing major industrial and fabrication company in US Securities and Exchange Commission inquiry involving inventory accounting issues
- Representing major Middle East-based company in responding to audit request and in enhancing compliance program, with focus on FCPA and export compliance
- Representing individual in US Securities and Exchange Commission inquiry involving investment in special purpose acquisition company that merged with a Middle East-based communications and surveillance company
- Representing several San Francisco Bay Area public companies in securities class action litigation matters
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of mobile payments and identity verification company into allegations of potential money laundering and violations of the anti-bribery provisions of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Represented international investment bank/broker-dealer in California Attorney General inquiry involving underwriting of mortgage-backed securities
- Represented audit committee of board of directors of California retail company in connection with potential suppression of insurance reserves and misconduct by company management
- Successfully resolved US Securities and Exchange Commission inquiry involving revenue recognition for cloud computing products on behalf of major international technology company by obtaining letter closing investigation without adverse action
- Successfully resolved US Securities and Exchange Commission inquiry on behalf of individual investigated for potential insider trading by obtaining letter closing investigation without adverse action
- Successfully resolved US Securities and Exchange Commission inquiry relating into initial public offering on behalf of major social media company by obtaining letter closing investigation without adverse action
- Successfully resolved US Securities and Exchange Commission inquiry involving accounting practices related to litigation reserves on behalf of major public semiconductor company by obtaining letter closing investigation without adverse action
- Successfully resolved US Securities and Exchange Commission inquiry involving adequate disclosure of principal transactions on behalf of investment management firm by obtaining letter closing investigation without adverse action
- Obtained dismissal of class action against major public semiconductor company concerning its acquisition of competitor in California state court
- Represented major broker-dealer in FINRA inquiry concerning sales of variable life insurance contracts, or "variable life settlements"
- Achieved extremely favorable settlements for two investment banks in multi-plaintiff challenge to short-selling practices in San Francisco County Superior Court
Pro Bono and Community Service
- Serving as a Lead Adjudicator for San Francisco Neighborhood Courts alternative dispute resolution program operated by San Francisco District Attorney's office
- Achieved 35-year reduction in sentence for California inmate who received improper gang enhancement of indeterminate length to sentence for role as armed robbery getaway driver
- Represented California gang member charged with RICO and VICAR conspiracy to commit murder in federal district court in Northern District of California
- Represented California inmate in successful parole proceedings after California Board of Parole Hearings had denied his 15 previous applications
- Secured U-VISA for Mexican immigrant who was victim of domestic abuse
- Named one of the "Top 20 Lawyers Under 40" in California by Daily Journal
- Recognized as a “Super Lawyer” in the 2018 edition of Northern California Super Lawyers (previously recognized as a “Rising Star” in the 2011-2017 editions)
- Burton Award for Legal Achievement, 2011
Insights & News
JD, University of Pennsylvania Law School, 2002cum laude Editor-in-Chief, University of Pennsylvania Law Review; Arthur Littleton and H. Clayton Louderback Legal Writing Instructor
BA, University of Pennsylvania, 1999magna cum laude Phi Beta Kappa
District of Columbia
The Hon. Ruggero J. Aldisert, US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2002 - 2003