Hal Leibowitz is co-chair of WilmerHale's Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Group. He has previously served as chair of the firm's Corporate Practice and as vice chair of the Transactional Department. Mr. Leibowitz's practice focuses on corporate and securities law matters for companies in the technology, life sciences and services industries, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and public company counseling.
Among the clients he represents are:
- Akamai Technologies
- Analogic Corporation
- Cynosure, Inc.
- Hasbro, Inc.
- Kadant Inc.
- PAREXEL International
- PerkinElmer, Inc.
- Progress Software Corporation
- RSA Security Inc.
- Shutterstock, Inc.
- The Boston Consulting Group
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Xcerra Corporation
Representative transactions in which Mr. Leibowitz has served as counsel include:
- A wide range of merger and acquisition transactions, including acquisitions and dispositions of numerous public and private companies, tender offers, exchange offers and going private transactions
- Public offerings in the technology, life sciences and services industries for both issuers and underwriters
- Venture capital financings of technology companies in the telecom and wireless, software and services industries
Mr. Leibowitz is a member of the American, Massachusetts and Boston Bar Associations and a member of the American Bar Association's Section on Business Law, where he serves as chair of the Merger and Acquisitions Committee's Market Trends Subcommittee and on the Editorial Board of the Committee's Subcommittee on Public Company Acquisitions. In addition, he chairs the ABA Market Trends Subcommittee's annual survey of deal points in the acquisition of public companies. Mr. Leibowitz is also a member of the Thomson Reuters Governance, Risk and Compliance Partner Advisory Board, a think tank that discusses pressing issues facing the legal industry and formulates solutions to help colleagues run more effective businesses.
- Representation of Analogic Corporation in its acquisition by an affiliate of Altaris Capital Partners
- Representation of Cynosure in its acquisition by Hologic
- Representation of Thermo Fisher Scientific in its acquisitions of Finesse Solutions, Alfa Aesar, Advanced Scientifics, One Lambda, Phadia Group, Fementas International, Cohesive Technologies, Priority Solutions and the Kendro Laboratory Products division of SPX Corporation and in divestitures of its Cell Culture, Cole-Palmer, Gene Modulation, Magnetic Particles, Athena and Lancaster Laboratories businesses
- Representation of PerkinElmer in its acquisitions of Caliper Life Sciences, Signature Genomic Laboratories and ViaCell, in the divestiture of its illumination and detection solutions and aerospace businesses and in the proposed divestiture of its medical imaging business to Varian Medical Systems
- Representation of Akamai in its acquisitions of Soha Systems, Bloxx, Octoshape, Prolexic, Cotendo, Speedera Network, Nine Systems and Netli, and in the divestiture of its Advertising Decision Solutions business
- Representation of Tokai Pharmaceuticals in its acquisition of Otic Pharma
- Representation of a global institutional investor in the proposed merger of equals transaction between DraftKings and FanDuel
- Representation of PAREXEL International in its acquisitions of Execupharm, Health Advances and Heron Group Limited
- Representation of The First Marblehead Corporation in its acquisition by FP Resources USA Inc.
- Representation of MKS Instruments in its acquisition of Newport Corporation
- Representation of ASICS in its acquisition of FitnessKeeper
- Representation of Analogic in its acquisitions of Ultrasonix Medical and Oncura Partners
- Representation of Palomar Medical Technologies in its acquisition by Cynosure
- Representation of Progress Software in its acquisitions of IONA Technologies, Rollbase and Telerik and in the divestiture of its Apama, Orbix, Artix, Orbacus, Sonic, Savvion, Actional, DataXtend and Shadow product lines
- Representation of a global manufacturing company in its divestiture of Charter Medical
- Representation of Enobia Pharma in its acquisition by Alexion Pharmaceuticals
- Representation of Netezza in its acquisition by IBM
- Representation of Icagen in its acquisition by Pfizer
- Representation of LTX Corporation in its combination with Credence Systems, its proposed combination with Verigy Ltd. and its acquisition of the Multitest and Everett Charles Technologies businesses of Dover Corporation
- Representation of Skillsoft PLC in its acquisition by a new company formed by funds sponsored by each of Berkshire Partners, Advent International and Bain Capital
- Representation of Aspect Medical in its acquisition by Covidien
- Representation of Sepracor in its acquisition by Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma
- Representation of The Medicines Company in its acquisition of Targanta Therapeutics
- Representation of Millennium Pharmaceuticals in its acquisition by Takeda Pharmaceuticals
- Representation of Applix in its acquisition by Cognos
- Representation of Keane in its acquisition by Caritor and in its acquisitions of Metro Information Systems and Signal Tree Solutions
- Representation of RSA Security in its acquisition by EMC Corporation and in its acquisitions of Cyota, 3-G International, XCert International, Intrusion Detection, DynaSoft and PassMark Security
- Representation of Eyetech Pharmaceuticals in its acquisition by OSI Pharmaceuticals
- Representation of Oasis Semiconductor in its sale to SigmaTel, Inc.
- Representation of Kadant in its acquisition of The Johnson Corporation
- Representation of Saucony in its sale to The Stride Rite Corporation
- Representation of Bookham Technology in its acquisition of New Focus
- Recognized as a Massachusetts leader in the corporate/M&A field in the 2006-2018 editions of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected by his peers in the 2012-2018 editions of the Best Lawyers in America in the area of corporate law
- Recommended in the 2016 and 2017 editions of The Legal 500 United States for M&A/Corporate and Commercial: Middle-Market ($500m-999m) and M&A/Corporate and Commercial: Corporate Governance
- Selected by LMG Life Sciences as winner of its "Canadian Impact Deals of the Year" in 2013 award for representation of Enobia Pharma in the company's acquisition by Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Listed in the 2013 and 2014 editions of The International Who's Who of Merger & Acquisition Lawyers as one of the world's leading M&A lawyers
- Listed in the 2012, 2013 and 2014 editions of The International Who's Who of Corporate Governance Lawyers as one of the world's leading corporate lawyers
- Recognized in the 2004-2017 editions of Boston Magazine as a "New England Super Lawyer" (formerly "Massachusetts Super Lawyer") for mergers and acquisitions, as well as for his representation of public companies
Insights & News
JD, Suffolk University Law School, 1985magna cum laude class valedictorian; Editor, Suffolk University Law Review; Member, national championship team of the J. Braxton Craven Constitutional Law Moot Court Competition
BA, Brandeis University, 1982cum laude