Justin Watts is an experienced patent litigator who has an established and well-regarded intellectual property practice. Clients rely on his industry knowledge and years of experience to handle their complex, multinational disputes. Dr. Watts represents a variety of clients, with an emphasis on those in the pharmaceutical, medical devices, biotechnology, communications, and hardware and software industries, in disputes involving standards, competition law and patents.
Dr. Watts' experience envelops the full range of IP litigation. His far-reaching capabilities allow him to advise clients on transactional work, specifically in the technology, media and communications sectors.
Prior to joining WilmerHale, Dr. Watts was a partner in the global IP/IT practice of another international law firm.
Dr. Watts is a qualified lawyer and chartered engineer, and holds a PhD in optoelectronics from the University of Cambridge. Before beginning his legal career, Dr. Watts worked in satellite communications engineering, with clients appreciating his technical knowledge alongside his rational and strategic approach.
Over the years, Dr. Watts has represented a variety of clients, including BMS, HP, a major mobile phone company, Abbott, Philips, Sony Computer Entertainment, Thomson Multimedia and Texas Instruments. His matters have included:
- representing BMS across 7 jurisdictions in asserting a patent infringement claim over immune system treatments for cancer;
- representing HP in the UK and Ireland defending a patent infringement claim over page-wide printing;
- representing Johnson & Johnson across 11 jurisdictions in defending a patent infringement claim over its silicone hydrogel contact lenses;
- advising Schlumberger in an international patent dispute over electromagnetic oil prospecting techniques; and
- handling major multi-jurisdiction litigation for clients in the mobile phone industry.
- Consistently ranked by Chambers UK in the category of Intellectual Property: Patent Litigation with sources saying he has "extremely good judgment," "'great leadership' and commercial acuity” and is “known for his 'sound judgement and ability to generate ideas at precisely the right time'”
- Regularly named as a leading individual by The Legal 500 United Kingdom in the Intellectual Property category and “is singled out for his 'vast experience in patent litigation'”
Insights & News
Diploma, Intellectual Property Law and Practice, University of Bristol
PhD, Optoelectronics, University of Cambridge
David Gottleib Prize for Law
BA, Electrical Sciences, University of Cambridge
England and Wales, Solicitor