Hallie B. Levin has joined WilmerHale as a partner in the Business Trial Group. Ms. Levin is a seasoned trial lawyer who serves as lead and co-lead counsel on high-stakes commercial disputes in federal and state courts and arbitral tribunals. With nearly 20 years of experience, Ms. Levin represents clients in connection with a broad range of matters, including complex contractual disputes, business torts, sensitive employment matters, intellectual property and trade secrets cases and internal investigations. Her skills in the courtroom, her nuanced strategic insights and guidance, and her commitment to delivering efficient results have earned her the trust and loyalty of clients across a diversity of industries, including financial services, telecommunications, consumer products, hedge funds and media.
Ms. Levin has demonstrated her commitment to improving the legal profession and system through her active leadership of some of New York's most prominent professional organizations. In May she was elected a Vice President of the New York City Bar Association, on whose Executive Committee she has served for four years, chairing the Committee during the past year. Last month she was elected a Vice President of the Federal Bar Council, having completed a term as Secretary. She was also a founding member of the Federal Bar Council Inn of Court and served as its membership chair.
Ms. Levin is admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and Eastern District of Michigan, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
In recent years, Ms. Levin has notably:
- served as lead trial counsel for a major financial services firm in a FINRA arbitration involving claims of improper hiring, breach of fiduciary duty, and theft of confidential information. After merits hearings conducted over three months, the FINRA panel denied plaintiff's multimillion-dollar claims in their entirety and awarded 100% of the damages sought by the employees hired by the client. The favorable decision was reported in The Financial Times, Forbes and Bloomberg.
- served as co-lead trial counsel in a four-month jury trial, one of the longest in the court's history, in New Jersey state court defending a prominent financial services company against billion-dollar claims of civil racketeering and unfair competition. The court dismissed plaintiff's civil racketeering claims after the close of evidence and the case settled favorably after Ms. Levin's summation while the jury was deliberating.
- acted as co-lead trial counsel for one of the world's most prominent interdealer brokerage firms in eight consolidated FINRA arbitrations, defending against claims of "raiding," unfair competition, breach of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, misappropriation of trade secrets and other business torts. The merits hearings spanned more than a year and a half, during which more than 70 witnesses were called to testify. The panel ultimately awarded plaintiffs a fraction of the damages they sought, and awarded significant damages to the employees hired by the client.
- defended a major telecommunications company against federal and state gender discrimination claims filed in the Southern District of New York. Ms. Levin achieved dismissal of plaintiff's claims in their entirety on summary judgment.
- represented a Special Committee of the Board of Directors of a leading financial services firm in investigating errors in the firm's public reporting. The representation included more than 60 witness interviews followed by a report by Ms. Levin to the firm's Board.
- defended a major financial services company in a licensing and copyright infringement dispute brought by IBM arising out of a compliance audit. Ms. Levin successfully avoided the imposition of summary judgment against the client and defeated claims for more than $100 million in profit disgorgement damages under the Copyright Act. Ms. Levin's adversaries were described as “Legal Lambs” by Law360.
- served as lead counsel defending a prominent hedge fund against multimillion-dollar claims for breach of contract, unjust enrichment, breach of fiduciary duty and other business torts. Ms. Levin achieved dismissal of all claims before the New York State trial court and gained affirmance of that victory before the Appellate Division.
- represented one of the country's largest wireless carriers in a nationwide class action alleging claims for breach of contract, fraud and violation of consumer protection statutes.
- represented an Ivy League university in defending against allegations of improper denial of tenure.
- Named to the 2013-2017 New York Super Lawyers lists, as well as the 2011 Super Lawyers Rising Stars list, for her exceptional business litigation practice
Insights & News
JD, Harvard Law School, 1996
Editor, Harvard Law Review
BA, History and Sociology of Science, University of Pennsylvania, 1993
summa cum laude
Phi Beta Kappa
The Hon. David Trager, US District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 1996 - 1997