Companies can face enormous negative consequences by inadequately protecting and enforcing their intellectual property. WilmerHale is well-positioned to help with these challenges, bringing to the table specialized lawyers from the patent and trademark bar who rank among the best in the world. Our team has key strengths in IP litigation and international trade, with global experience in navigating the complex legal, business and public policy aspects of complex international IP matters.
In the last two years, our patent prosecution team filed more than 2,000 US and foreign patent applications, including 140 design patent applications, and obtained more than 1,500 US and foreign patents for clients. Our IP attorneys are currently responsible for more than 6,900 active patent assets worldwide.
We help companies and industries:
- secure protection for their IP in jurisdictions around the world—for instance, preparing and prosecuting patents under the Patent Cooperative Treaty, and working with seasoned patent lawyers in multiple jurisdictions;
- resolve protection and enforcement disputes before administrative agencies and courts around the world—either directly (in those jurisdictions where we can appear) or in coordination with local counsel;
- improve foreign government enforcement of IP—including by devising legal and public policy strategies, working directly with foreign governments (including in difficult developing markets like China and India) and enlisting US and EU government support and action; and
- contain the damage from infringement—including ensuring that infringing products do not enter the United States (through section 337 litigation before the US International Trade Commission).
Our lawyers help shape the rules of international IP, working alongside companies, industries and governments to:
- influence the formulation and implementation of government policies, national legislation and international rules regarding IP—including counseling on implementation of the WTO Agreement on Trade-Related Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) and development of relevant national legislation; and
- ensure enforcement of governments’ international IP commitments—including under TRIPS.
In all of these areas, WilmerHale utilizes its substantial capabilities and experience to effectively implement a cross-cutting, multi-disciplinary approach to tackling a client’s most complex problems. Our core IP, IP litigation and international trade practices are regularly ranked among the best in class. With former senior policy makers from the United States and European Union governments, we have broad experience in negotiating practical solutions with governments, businesses and other stakeholders. Our German and UK-based lawyers have represented clients before their respective countries’ Supreme Courts, at the House of Lords and in the Court of Justice of the European Union. When the stakes are high, WilmerHale delivers a team of lawyers who work as a cohesive unit: in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, China and other courts. Our premier practice has no borders.