Trevor Cook focuses his practice on transnational intellectual property litigation matters and is also active in the area of life sciences. Mr. Cook has more than 35 years of experience in global patent litigation, particularly in Europe and Asia. In recent years, he has acted in many of the leading patent infringement cases that have come before the English courts, most of which have concerned pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, and also in many of the leading cases regarding the protection of regulatory data.
Mr. Cook joined WilmerHale from Bird & Bird LLP in London, where he was a partner in the Intellectual Property Group and co-head of the International Life Sciences Sector Group. He was, for several years, president of the UK Group of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI), is Chairman of the British Copyright Council and is on the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) List of Arbitrators.
Mr. Cook is a prolific author, having written numerous articles and books during his career, and is on the editorial board of the Life Sciences Intellectual Property Review. His most recent include A Users' Guide to Patents (4th Edition - Bloomsbury 2016), International Intellectual Property Arbitration (Wolters Kluwer 2010) and EU Intellectual Property Law (Oxford University Press 2010). He is co-author of the Modern Law of Patents (3rd Edition - LexisNexis Butterworths 2014) and Practical Intellectual Property Precedents (Thomson Reuters - Sweet & Maxwell) and the editor of Sterling on World Copyright Law (4th Edition - Thomson Reuters - Sweet & Maxwell 2015) and Trade Secret Protection: A Global Guide (Globe Law and Business 2016).
Legal Consultant in New York; Solicitor, England and Wales
- Highly recommended as a leading lawyer in the IP industry in the 2017 edition of Patents Expert Guide
- Named a leading IP practitioner in the 2016 World Intellectual Property Review guide
- Selected as a 2015-2018 IP Star by Managing IP, a guidebook that identifies leading IP lawyers in the United States
- Recognized in the 2013 edition of The Chambers 100 for intellectual property, with sources saying his "knowledge is unsurpassed. His ability to provide simple clear and practical answers to complex issues is unparalleled."
- Consistently recognized for his life sciences: IP/patent litigation work by Chambers Global, with sources describing him as "a pre-eminent practitioner with an outstanding reputation"
- Named a Star Individual by Chambers UK 2012 and 2013 for his IP and patent litigation work, and ranked in Band 1 for Life Sciences: IP/Patent Litigation (UK-wide) and in Band 2 in Life Sciences: Regulatory (UK-wide). Sources said he is "one of the great and the good of the IP world" and "few, if any, lawyers can match his experience at winning the most taxing cases pertaining to all rights across the IP spectrum."
- Selected as a 2013 leading individual by The Legal 500 UK in the area of intellectual property, with sources stating he "is certainly a master in the field"
- Ranked in the 2013-2016 editions of Who's Who Legal for his life sciences, patent litigation, trademark, information technology and advisory work, with sources claiming "Trevor Cook is considered to be 'in a league of his own'"
- Selected as "Patent Lawyer of the Year" in 2012 for the seventh consecutive year from Who's Who Legal
- Named a 2013 Super Lawyer in the area of intellectual property law and life sciences
- Recognized in the 2013, 2015 and 2016 editions of IAM Patent 1000 as a leading IP litigator who is "one of a kind" and revered among fellow practitioners for his vast knowledge of the law
Insights & News
BS, Chemistry, Southampton University
New York (Legal Consultant)
Solicitor, England and Wales