This conference will focus on strategic and tactical decision-making in parallel fraud proceedings. Enforcement against corporate fraud has reached unprecedented levels and comes from increasingly diverse sources. Today, such enforcement commonly involves parallel proceedings—simultaneous or successive criminal, civil and administrative proceedings arising out of a common set of facts and commenced by multiple government agencies and private litigants.
The following topics will be covered during the panel discussions:
- Strategies in the pursuit and defense of companies, officers, directors, and employees
- Understanding the latest in government fraud enforcement initiatives, priorities, tools, and actions
- Use of the False Claims Act by the government to recover money lost to fraud where the government is the victim
- The rise of civil qui tam lawsuits and the impact of those filings
- The impact of Dodd-Frank regulatory changes on fraud enforcement
- Practical strategies to mitigate enforcement, sanctions, and sentences
- Ethical considerations in parallel proceedings
- Advising officers, directors, and employees in the context of parallel criminal, civil, and administrative actions
- Understanding the new and aggressive investigative techniques
- The role of corporate governance and compliance in prevention, risk-mitigation, and defense
WilmerHale Partner David Ogden is a featured speaker at this event.