Thomas Anderson’s practice focuses on complex intellectual property matters. He has extensive experience in all aspects of intellectual property practice and has represented and counseled clients on a broad range of intellectual property matters, including intellectual property asset acquisition, management, transaction, enforcement, and litigation matters. Mr. Anderson represents clients in patent litigation matters in various jurisdictions across the country, and also represents clients in complex patent prosecution matters before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, including petitions, appeals, reexaminations, reissues, inter partes reviews, interferences, protests, and public use proceedings.
Prior to joining WilmerHale, Mr. Anderson was a partner at another law firm in Washington DC where he focused on securing, managing, and enforcing domestic and foreign intellectual property rights, preparing opinions on intellectual property related assets, and counseling clients on a broad range of intellectual property related matters. Before obtaining his law degree, Mr. Anderson worked as a design engineer for General Electric Company.
Mr. Anderson is admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts, and the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
In addition, Mr. Anderson is a member of the American Bar Association, District of Columbia Bar Association, New York State Bar Association, and the Massachusetts Bar Association. He is a member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the Patent Office Practice Committee of the Intellectual Property Owners Association, and is the past president of the Patent Lawyers Club of Washington.
In recent years, Mr. Anderson’s work has included the following matters:
- Represented major smartphone manufacturer in patent infringement litigations in US District Courts and before the International Trade Commission involving multiple patents
- Prosecuted multiple original and reissue patents before the USPTO that have been successfully litigated resulting in multi-million dollar royalty payments
- Served as lead litigation counsel for a defendant in a patent infringement action involving biometric scanner technologies
- Represented defendants as lead counsel in a matter involving interactive voice response technology in a consolidated multi-district patent infringement litigation
- Represented client in multiple patent reexamination proceedings before the USPTO to achieve estoppel benefits in concurrent patent infringement litigations
- Obtained a successful motion to transfer suit for a client in a patent infringement and interference action
- Representation of a complainant in an ongoing infringement investigation before the International Trade Commission, successfully appealing order imposing sanctions and moving for sanctions against respondent for violation of protective order
- Successfully represented defendant in a patent infringement action involving financial services technology, resulting in jury verdict of non-infringement of patent and patent invalidity
Insights & News
JD, Seton Hall University School of Law, 1995
MS, Electrical Engineering, Syracuse University, 1989
BS, Electrical Engineering, Rochester Institute of Technology, 1986
District of Columbia
United States Patent and Trademark Office