Dr. Oliver Fleischmann advises clients in various industries, in particular regulated industries, on German and European competition and merger control law.
One focus of Dr. Fleischmann's practice is the energy sector. He advises oil and gas producers, energy suppliers and energy infrastructure operators on all aspects of German and European competition and merger control law and energy regulation, as well as energy contract law.
In addition, Dr. Fleischmann has extensive experience in merger control advice in particular for clients in the telecommunications, transport and tourism industries.
Professional ActivitiesDr. Fleischmann is a member of the Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht (Antitrust Law Society Germany) and the German-American Lawyers Association.
Dr. Fleischmann is a co-author of the "Münchener Kommentar zum Europäischen und Deutschen Wettbewerbsrecht (Kartellrecht), Band 1: Europäisches Wettbewerbsrecht" (2007, 2nd edition 2015). His contributions to these commentaries cover key aspects of the EU merger review process.
- Advising and representing a global tourism company in merger control proceedings before the European Commission and the German Federal Cartel Office related to the restructuring of Germany's second largest airline.
- Advising and representing several global energy companies in merger control proceedings before the German Federal Cartel Office concerning their planned formation of a joint venture for the construction and operation of an offshore pipeline.
- Advising and representing one of Germany's largest utility companies in merger control proceedings before the German Federal Cartel Office concerning its acquisition of one of Germany's largest natural gas suppliers.
- Advising and representing a major international pulp and paper company in merger control proceedings before the European Commission concerning its acquisition of a fluff pulp business.
- Advising and representing a leading global academic publisher in securing merger control clearance from the US Department of Justice, the European Commission and several further authorities worldwide for the combination of the publisher with the majority of the science and education division of a major German media company and in a joint venture.
- Advising and representing a leading European telecommunications company in administrative proceedings before the German Federal Cartel Office concerning an alleged abuse of a dominant position.
- Advising and representing an international energy supply company in merger control proceedings before the European Commission concerning a complex asset swap.
- Advising and representing a natural gas pipeline operator before the German Federal Network Agency, the OLG Dusseldorf and the EU General Court concerning a regulatory exemption granted pursuant to § 28a EnWG for the onshore-link of the Nord Stream pipeline.
- Advising and representing a global multi-industry company in merger control proceedings before the German Federal Cartel Office concerning its USD 4 billion acquisition of a leading global molecular diagnostics company.
- Representing Deutsche Bahn in connection with all aspects of asserting claims for several hundred million Euros in damages from the railtrack cartel, including in litigation against major European steel producers. This is one of the largest and most complex cartel damages cases in the history of Germany.
Honors & AwardsDr. Fleischmann is a former Academic and ERP-Scholar of the German National Academic Foundation ("Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes").
Insights & News
Second State Exam, Berlin, Court of Appeals, 2004
LLM, University of Chicago Law School, 2002
Dr. jur., Humboldt University, Berlin, 2001
First State Exam, Humboldt University, Berlin, 1999