Allen Fox joined the firm in 1981 and retired in 2013. His practice involved all aspects of real estate investment, development, finance, leasing and sale, including loan workouts and restructuring.
Mr. Fox's practice focused on transactions involving the acquisition, development, financing, sale and lease of office, industrial, multifamily residential, mixed-use, shopping center and hotel properties.
Mr. Fox served as counsel to a broad range of clients engaged in real estate related transactions, including:
- Developers such as Spaulding and Slye, Jones Lang LaSalle, Opus East, West*Group Properties, PN Hoffman and Aviation Facilities Company
- Investment companies and pension fund advisors such as General Investment and Development Company, BlackRock Realty, and Potomac Capital Investment Corporation
- Corporate clients such as The Boston Consulting Group, Legg Mason & Co., Pepco and Bookham Technology
- Life insurance companies such as Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, New York Life Insurance Company and John Hancock Life Insurance Company
Mr. Fox lectured at seminars sponsored by national and local real estate organizations on subjects such as big box zoning, leasing and construction contracts.
Mr. Fox served on the board of directors and is the past chairman of the Make-A-Wish Foundation of the Mid-Atlantic.
Among other noteworthy projects, Mr. Fox represented:
- A national development company in a new mixed-use classroom, biotechnology laboratory and office building at the Johns Hopkins University campus in Montgomery County, Maryland, including a ground lease from and partial leaseback to the university, a joint venture with an equity investor, leases to other private users of space in the building and construction loan financing for the project
- A national development company in a ground lease and lease for NOAA’s new Center for Climate and Weather Prediction at the M Square Research Park of the University of Maryland
- The investment company subsidiary of Pepco in the sale and leaseback of Edison Place, the headquarters of Pepco Holdings, Inc. in Washington DC
- A national development company on the acquisition and reconstruction of a 500,000 square foot office building, including $196,800 construction loan, joint venture with an institutional investor, and related takeout commitment and multiparty agreement
- A national development company in workouts of construction and mezzanine financing for office and condominium projects in the Greater Washington DC area
- Foreign investors in loan workouts and foreclosures relating to mezzanine loans and loan participations in US real estate projects
- Landlords and tenants in well over 4,000,000 square feet of office, industrial and retail lease transactions
- Institutional owners of office properties in restructuring leases with distressed tenants
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a leader in real estate in the 2006-2013 editions of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2013 and 2014 editions of The Best Lawyers in America for his real estate law practice
Insights & News
JD, George Washington University Law School, 1976with honors
BA, Washington University, 1973cum laude Phi Beta Kappa
District of Columbia