International Civil Litigation in United States Courts is the leading commentary in the field and is an essential resource for all practitioners and students of international litigation. The sixth edition provides a comprehensive treatment of:
- Subject matter and personal jurisdiction in international cases (including alienage, Alien Tort Statute, Due Process limitations, and long-arm statutes);
- Forum selection in international cases (including forum selection agreements, venue, forum non conveniens, lis pendens, abstention, and Hague Choice of Court Convention);
- Foreign sovereign immunity under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act;
- Choice of law (including extraterritoriality, conflict of laws, and act of state doctrine);
- Recognition of foreign judgments (including Uniform Foreign Money Judgments Recognition Act and common law);
- International judicial assistance (including Hague Evidence Convention, Hague Service Convention, and extraterritorial discovery); and
- International arbitration (including New York Convention and Federal Arbitration Act).
Previous editions of International Civil Litigation in United States Courts have been lauded as the leading publication in the field:
“A source of virtual perfection”
“The bible for litigation lawyers.”
“An excellent work….A felicitous combination of theory and practice.”
“The best available approach….”
“The most comprehensive work in the field”
“A remarkable work…No practitioner should be without it….”
The sixth edition of International Civil Litigation in United States Courts contains comprehensively updated and expanded materials, including discussions of relevant recent U.S. Supreme Court and other court decisions, legislative developments related to a wide range of private and public international law, and timely topics including terrorism and proof of foreign law.
Mr. Born is the world's preeminent authority on international commercial arbitration and international litigation. He was recognized as a “thought leader” in the 2018 edition of Who's Who Legal: Arbitration, where he is described by sources as “a legendary attorney in the field of international arbitration” and as “excellent on all counts.” He is also consistently ranked as one of the world's leading experts on international arbitration, and Chambers UK recently recognized him as England's only “star performer” in the field. Mr. Born has authored numerous books and articles on the subject, including International Arbitration and Forum Selection Agreements: Drafting and Enforcing (5th ed. 2016), International Arbitration: Cases and Materials (2d ed. 2015), International Arbitration: Law and Practice (2d ed. 2015), and International Commercial Arbitration (2d ed. 2014).
Learn more or purchase International Civil Litigation in United States Courts at www.aspenlawschool.com/books/Born_InterCivLit6e/default.asp.