At CPDP2016, WilmerHale Senior Associate Takeshige Sugimoto will participate in the panel discussion "Data Transfers Between the EU and Asia." The panel will explore the regulation of data transfers between the EU and Asia after the “Schrems” decision. First, the experts from the EU and Asia will examine the current state of affairs in EU-Asia transfers. They will particularly consider the following questions:
- What are the practices of data transfer in Asian jurisdictions?
- What is the impact of the CJEU ruling for Asian countries?
- How we can ensure an adequate level of protection for data transfers between the EU and Asia?
- Second, the experts will consider certain instruments which may offer solutions to EU-Asia transfer issues. In this regard, they will discuss APEC cross-border transfer rules, as well as TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership) rules as templates for interoperability moving forward.
Broadly speaking, the panel will consider the question: How can we reach agreement on the global data transfer issues in spite of the fact that privacy is local? The panel will focus on the following topics:
- Data transfers between the EU and Asia
- Data localisation
- APEC Cross-Border Privacy Rules
- Trans-Pacific Partnership