WilmerHale's teleconference on October 9, 2015 discusses the October 6 landmark decision in Schrems v. Data Protection Commissioner, in which the European Court of Justice overturned the transatlantic Safe Harbor Program that authorized thousands of US companies to receive and process personal information from data controllers in the European Union.
The discussion covers the decision, which invalidated an important mechanism for transferring personal data from Europe to the United States and created legal uncertainty for US and EU companies that handle EU personal information.
Learn what led to the decision, how EU data protection authorities are reacting and what companies can do to avoid disruptions in their vital transatlantic data flows.
WilmerHale presenters include:
- Dr. Martin Braun, Partner, Frankfurt/Brussels
- Barry J. Hurewitz, Partner, Washington DC
- Prof. Dr. Hans-Georg Kamann, Partner, Brussels/Frankfurt
- Benjamin A. Powell, Partner, Washington DC (moderator)
- Heather Zachary, Partner, Washington DC