Paul M. Architzel is a partner at WilmerHale, co-chair of the Futures and Derivatives Group, and a member of the Broker-Dealer Compliance and Regulation Group.
Mr. Architzel's practice covers all areas of futures and swap regulation, including the regulation of futures exchanges, swap execution facilities, foreign boards of trade, derivatives clearing organizations, futures commission merchants, introducing brokers, commodity pool operators and commodity trading advisors. He is an authority on issues involving the listed derivatives markets, the clearing and trading of OTC derivatives, end-user market participation and cross-border access issues. He also handles complex matters that involve the overlapping jurisdiction of securities and futures regulations, as well as compliance issues facing hedge funds and commodity pools. Mr. Architzel practices actively before the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) as well as the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and is a frequent speaker at futures and derivatives industry conferences.
Before entering private practice, Mr. Architzel served as Chief Counsel of the CFTC's Division of Economic Analysis, now the Division of Market Oversight, for more than 25 years, and was the chief architect of the Core Principle framework for futures market regulation. Mr. Architzel also spent several years as the chief US regulatory counsel for Eurex Frankfurt AG, a global derivatives/futures exchange and clearinghouse.
Mr. Architzel was an adjunct professor of law in the Securities and Financial Regulation LLM program at Georgetown University Law Center where he taught Futures Regulation and the Commodity Exchange Act.
- Recognized nationally in the 2018 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for his work in capital markets and derivatives
- Named among the winners of Lexology and ILO's 2018 Client Choice Awards, which are presented to partners who stand apart for the excellent client service they provide
- Recognized in the 2010-2018 editions of Best Lawyers in America for his work in derivatives and futures law
- Named to BTI Consulting's Client Service All-Stars 2017 list for exhibiting exceptional client service
- Given Presidential Rank Award of "Distinguished Executive,” (2000), the highest government-wide award to senior executives, chosen by independent, private-sector panel
- Regulatory Innovation Award, (CFTC 2000)
- Chairperson's Award for Excellence, (CFTC 1998)
- Distinguished Service Award, (CFTC 1996)
Insights & News
JD, The National Law Center, George Washington University, 1978
High HonorsOrder of the Coif, GWU Trustee Scholarship
BA, State University of New York at Albany, 1975summa cum laude Phi Beta Kappa, Signum Laudis, SUNYA
District of Columbia
Commodity Futures Trading CommissionChief Counsel, Division of Economic Analysis