Mick Bain advises entrepreneurs, startups and high growth companies throughout their lifecycles. In addition, he represents venture capital firms, growth equity firms and strategic investors when making their portfolio investments. Recognized as a trusted advisor, he has helped hundreds of companies raise billions of dollars in seed, venture and strategic financing. His clients have spanned a vast array of technology and life sciences industries, including big data, clean technology, cybersecurity, digital advertising, digital media, e-commerce, FinTech, mobile and telecommunications, software, biotech and medical devices.
With more than two decades of experience, Mr. Bain advises his company clients on formation and governance issues, equity compensation matters, securities laws, international expansion and many other areas that are key to the growth of technology and life sciences companies. He also represents clients in complex corporate transactions including capital raising, M&A transactions, joint ventures, initial public offerings and other capital markets transactions.
In addition, he has worked extensively with many venture capital and growth equity and strategic investors. These clients include North Bridge Venture Partners, Matrix Partners, MPM Capital and Spark Capital.
Learn more about Mr. Bain's practice and how he can support your startup on WilmerHaleLaunch.com.
Mr. Bain was previously associate general counsel of CMGI, Inc. where he advised CMGI and its subsidiaries with respect to a variety of domestic and international transactions, including venture capital investments, mergers and acquisitions, and international joint ventures in the United States, Asia, Europe and South America.
Mr. Bain is a member of the American Bar Association and is a frequent guest lecturer on entrepreneurship and corporate finance at MIT Sloan, Harvard Business School, Boston University and Babson College.
- 1366 Technologies, Inc. raising over $55.5 million in multiple early-stage financings
- Blue Danube Labs, Inc. raising over $25.7 million in multiple venture and strategic financings
- Casa Systems, Inc. raising nearly $110 million in multiple strategic financings
- Constellation Pharmaceuticals, Inc. raising $55 million in a late stage financing
- Kala Pharmaceuticals, Inc. raising $68 million in a Series C financing
- Lattice Engines, Inc. raising over $63 million in multiple venture and strategic financings
- Reflexis Systems, Inc. raising nearly $43 million in multiple venture and strategic financings
- Aegis Lightwave, Inc. acquisition by II-VI Incorporated
- Ahura Scientific, Inc. acquisition by Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- airwide solutions inc. acquisition by Maviner
- Bzzagent, Inc. acquisition by dunnhumby USA, Inc.
- Chosen Security, Inc. acquisition by PGP Corporation
- CMGI, multiple M&A, joint venture and financing transactions
- Newforma, Inc. asset purchase of Smart Use Software, Inc.
- Nexage, Inc. acquisition by Millennial Media, Inc.
- PerkinElmer, multiple buy-side M&A transactions
- Rhythmia Medical, Inc. acquisition by Boston Scientific Corporation
- Sanbolic acquisition by Citrix
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., multiple buy-side and sell-side M&A transactions
- Recognized for his "knowledge and understanding of the startup environment" and as a "well-respected force within the venture capital market" who is "highly regarded by peers" for his private equity: venture capital investment (2011-2018) and startups & emerging companies (2017-2018) practices by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Named one of the Best Lawyers in America in the area of venture capital law (2009-2018) and corporate law (2010-2018)
- Recommended in the 2016 and 2017 editions of The Legal 500 United States for his M&A/Corporate and Commercial: Middle-Market and as well as Venture Capital and Emerging Companies practices
- Named a "New England Super Lawyer" (formerly "Massachusetts Super Lawyer") from 2009-2015
- Named a "Massachusetts Super Lawyer Rising Star" in securities and venture finance in the May 2005 edition of Boston Magazine
Insights & News
JD, Boston University School of Lawmagna cum laude
BA, Providence Collegemagna cum laude Pi Sigma Alpha