Apoorva Patel is a senior associate in WilmerHale's Litigation/Controversy Department and a member of the firm's International Arbitration Practice Group. His practice focuses on the resolution of complex international disputes through commercial and investor-state arbitration and cross-border litigation. Mr. Patel has advised clients in the construction, energy, defense, telecommunications, technology, financial services and insurance industries, among others. He also has extensive experience in litigation before US federal and state courts and in the negotiation and mediation of commercial disputes.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Patel was a member of the international arbitration, litigation and intellectual property practices in the New York office of a global law firm. At Harvard Law School, Mr. Patel was Editor-in-Chief of the Harvard Negotiation Law Review, a leading journal of scholarship on alternative dispute resolution. He also advised the Ministry of Justice of Chile on a pilot alternative dispute resolution program through the Harvard Negotiation and Mediation Clinical Program.
Mr. Patel is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and State of New York and before the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
Mr. Patel is a member of the American Bar Association; District of Columbia Bar, International Law Section; ICC Young Arbitrators Forum; LCIA Young Arbitration Group; Young ICSID; Young ICCA; Young ITA; Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center – Young Professionals; and the South Asian Bar Association of North America.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Author, Solving the Diversity Problem, Global Arbitration Review (2018) (on behalf of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration)
- Author, Implicit Bias in Arbitrator Appointments: A Report from the 15th Annual ITA-ASIL Conference on Diversity and Inclusion in International Arbitration, Kluwer Arbitration Blog (2018) (on behalf of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration)
- Co-author, U.S. Appellate Court Permits Attachment of Assets in Suit to Compel Arbitration, LexisNexis UK LexisPSL (2017)
- Author, A New Chapter in the Confirmation of International Arbitration Awards Vacated at Their Seat, Young ICCA Blog (2017)
- Author, Evaluating the Reforms to India's Arbitration Regime, International Bar Association Arbitration News, Vol. 21, No. 2 (2016)
- Co-author, International Arbitration in New York: A Practical Perspective, Indian Journal of Arbitration Law, Vol. 5, No. 1 (2016)
- Speaker, Preparing Witnesses and Experts to Testify in International Arbitration, WilmerHale Seminar (2018)
- Moderator, Breaking into International Arbitration, New York University School of Law (2016)
- Speaker, The Hughes Institute Litigation Training Program, Hughes Hubbard & Reed Seminar (2015, 2016)
Insights & News
JD, Harvard Law School, 2013
Editor-in-Chief, Harvard Negotiation Law Review; Dean's Scholar Prize
BA, Duke University, 2010
magna cum laude
District of Columbia