Alison Geary's practice focuses on white collar crime involving fraud, bribery, corruption, cartels and money laundering. She acts in Serious Fraud Office (SFO), Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and World Bank investigations. She acts for both individuals and corporations under investigation. She has been listed in Global Investigations Review's 40 under 40, a list of “accomplished young investigations lawyers who will help shape the future of this fast-evolving area of law” and is recognized as a Future Leader in the 2018 edition of Who's Who Legal: Investigations.
Her casework currently includes acting for individuals and banks in relation to the FX, LIBOR and other benchmark manipulation investigations. She also acts for individuals in the SFO's high-profile investigations into ENRC and Rolls Royce. She has particular knowledge of issues of English law privilege in investigations and criminal litigation and is currently advising a number of corporations in relation to privilege issues. She has previously acted for a high-profile individual in the investigation by the Metropolitan Police into phone hacking.
Ms. Geary has extensive experience conducting internal investigations, often spanning many jurisdictions. She has recently concluded an investigation for a multi-national firm investigating various allegations of criminal offences committed by senior management. She also advised an international corporation being investigated by the World Bank Integrity Vice Presidency. This matter was concluded with no action being taken by the World Bank.
Ms. Geary regularly provides commentary on white collar crime matters and has been quoted in publications such as The Times (London), The Guardian and Reuters. She is recommended in the 2015 and 2016 editions of The Legal 500 UK for white-collar crime.
Recent highlights include, acting for:
- a key individual in the ongoing FX investigation and subsequent prosecution by the DOJ
- an individual in the SFO's ongoing bribery investigation into a number of individuals at Rolls Royce
- an individual in relation to the SFO's high-profile investigation into allegations of fraud, bribery and corruption relating to the activities of ENRC in Africa
- a senior manager in relation to the SFO, FCA and DOJ's investigation into LIBOR and EURIBOR manipulation
- an investment bank subject to a multi-jurisdictional investigation relating to investor fraud
- an individual in an SFO investigation relating to creditor fraud
- a senior manager at a company currently subject to an investigation by the European Commission
- an individual subject to SFO restraint orders in relation to allegations of international fraud
- an individual in relation to US and UK investigations into a complex algorithmic trading strategy
- an individual in relation to the investigation by the Metropolitan Police into Phone Hacking
- a corporation being investigated by the World Bank Integrity Vice Presidency
Insights & News
LPC, BPP Law School, 2008with distinction
BPP Law School, 2007
University of Nottingham, 2004
BA, Social Policy and Administration
England and Wales, Solicitor