Starting a new company is hard, but putting in place the right legal framework for your business doesn’t have to be. In this class, you’ll learn how to avoid the most common costly mistakes when starting your company from Dave Gammell, Edwin Pease and Larissa Park, three start-up lawyers from WilmerHale. If you misstep early, it could cost you BIG later, making it more challenging or even impossible to build a successful business.
Topics will include:
- Founder equity – How to allocate % among founders and vesting do’s and don’ts
- Employee compensation and using options
- Capital raising do’s and don’ts
- Using independent contractors and interns and avoiding personal liability
- What type of legal entity is really best for you?
- Understanding and protecting your intellectual property
- Candid lessons learned from legal and entrepreneurial perspectives.
Don’t make your life harder than it has to be—learn the fundamentals and save yourself headaches, money and wasted effort down the line.