Arian June has extensive experience with advising clients in government and internal investigations of potential securities law violations, including insider trading, financial reporting violations, broker-dealer supervisory matters and accountant liability cases. She has represented institutional and individual clients in a variety of investigations before government regulators, including the US Securities and Exchange Commission, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, and the New York Attorney General, and in other regulatory investigations before the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, criminal proceedings, and parallel civil litigation.
Ms. June also advises clients on various facets of the Dodd-Frank Act, including the implementation and impact of the Dodd-Frank Whistleblower Program. As a member of the firm’s Dodd-Frank Whistleblower Working Group, Ms. June closely monitors the developments surrounding the whistleblower rules and regulations, helps clients review current legal compliance and audit systems, counsels on response policies and procedures relating to potential or actual violations, and advises on implementing anti-retaliation policies. She also publishes frequently in this area.
In 2015, Ms. June was elected to The District of Columbia Bar Board of Governors. As a board member, she will help oversee the operation of the bar and will work to uphold the DC Bar's mission, expressed in its motto, "Enhance access to justice, improve the legal system, and empower lawyers to achieve."
Ms. June joined the firm as an associate in 2006 and returned in 2008 after completing a judicial clerkship at the United States District Court for the District of Columbia. Prior to joining the firm, Ms. June was a law clerk in the Fraud and Public Corruption Section of the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia, where she assisted in prosecutions involving securities fraud, mail and wire fraud and tax evasion.
Publications, Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- "Second Circuit Allows Whistleblower Retaliation Protection Without Reporting to SEC," WilmerHale Client Alert (September 15, 2015)
- Speaking Engagement, “Governance Regulations Under Dodd-Frank Webinar,” American Bar Association (January 15, 2015).
- "Understanding Securities Laws 2014 CLE Seminar," panel presentation at the National Bar Association Annual Convention (Atlanta, Georgia) (July 29, 2014)
- "Recent Developments in Qui Tam, IRS, and SEC Whistleblower Rewards Claims," panel presentation at a District of Columbia Bar CLE Program (Washington DC) (July 22, 2014).
- "Understanding the Global Reach of U.S. Whistleblower Anti-Retaliation Protections," Bloomberg BNA World Securities Law Report, Vol. 20, No. 7. (July 14, 2014).
- "Attorneys Caught in the Ethical Crosshairs: Secretkeepers as Bounty Hunters Under the SEC Whistleblower Rules," Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law Report, Vol. 46, No. 711 (April 14, 2014).
- “Governance Regulations Under Dodd-Frank,” panel presentation at the American Bar Association: Business Law Section 2014 Spring Meeting (Los Angeles, California) (April 11, 2014).
- "Don’t Tread on Whistleblowers: Mitigating and Managing Retaliation Risks—Part II," Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law Report, Vol. 46, No. 167 (January 27, 2014).
- "Don’t Tread on Whistleblowers: Mitigating and Managing Retaliation Risks," Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law Report, Vol. 46, No. 77 (January 13, 2014).
- "Trends in Insider Trading Investigations Part II: How to Navigate Expert Networks," Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law Report, Vol. 45, No. 2255 (December 9, 2013).
- "Trends in Insider Trading Investigations Part I: How to Navigate Political Intelligence," Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law Report, Vol. 45, No. 2041 (November 4, 2013).
- "Expected Renewed SEC Emphasis on Accounting Fraud," Law360, (October 4, 2013).
- "Dispatches From the Whistleblower Front: Five Common Pitfalls For Companies to Avoid," Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law Report, Vol. 45, No. 1345, (July 22, 2013).
- "Year Three of the SEC Whistleblower Program: Will It Turbocharge SEC Enforcement?," Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law Report, Vol. 45, No. 890, (May 13, 2013).
- Speaking Engagement, Sadie T.M. Alexander Commemorative Conference, University of Pennsylvania Law School (January 24, 2013).
- "Preparing for the Deluge: How to Respond When Employees Speak Up and Report Possible Compliance Violations," Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law Report, Vol. 44, No. 922, (May 7, 2012).
- "Get Ahead of the Bus or Be Hit by the Bus: Practical Strategies for Meeting the Challenges and Mitigating the Risks of the Dodd-Frank Whistleblower Program," Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law Report, Vol. 44, No. 526, (March 12, 2012).
- Presentation, “Ethical Considerations for Attorneys Acting as Whistleblowers Under Dodd-Frank,” Samuel and Ronnie Heyman Center on Corporate Governance (February 28, 2012).
- "CFTC and SEC Whistleblower Bounties: Largely Similar But Important Differences Remain," WilmerHale Client Alert, (August 22, 2011). Republished in Journal of Investment Compliance, Vol. 13, No. 1, (2012).
- "SEC Whistleblower Bounties: 10 Things Companies Can Do Right Now To Stay Ahead," WilmerHale Client Alert, (August 4, 2011). Republished in Market Solutions, Vol. 20, No. 3, (September 2011).
- "SEC Approves Sweeping Whistleblower Bounty Regime," WilmerHale Client Alert, (May 27, 2011).