Mergers and Acquisitions
Selected 2018 M&A TransactionsPublications
2018 M&A Report—A Detailed Global M&A Market Review and OutlookPublications
Represented Staples in its acquisition by Sycamore Partners for $6.9 billion.
Acted as co-counsel to Analog Devices in the purchase of fellow chipmaker Linear Technology Corp. for $14.8 billion, and also represented Analog Devices in its acquisition of Hittite Microwave for $2.5 billion.
Represented Crane & Co., Inc., the manufacturer of currency paper for the US government since 1802, in its acquisition by Crane Co., a diversified manufacturer of highly engineered industrial products, for $800 million.
Represented Akamai Technlogies in numerous M&A transactions, including its acquisitions of Nominum, a provider of DNS-based security solutions; Prolexic Technologies, a provider of cloud-based security solutions; and Soha Systems, a provider of cloud-based secure remote-access solutions.
Represented Mitobridge, a company dedicated to delivering therapeutics that improve mitochondrial function, in its acquisition by Astellas Pharma for $450 million.
Represented a special committee of Hilton Worldwide Holdings in a transaction with HNA Group and Blackstone, in which HNA acquired approximately 25% equity interest in Hilton from affiliates of Blackstone, establishing a long-term strategic investment in Hilton and Hilton’s planned spin-offs of Park Hotels & Resorts and Hilton Grand Vacations.
Represented Cynosure, a developer and manufacturer of aesthetic treatment systems, in its sale to Hologic, a developer, manufacturer and supplier of diagnostics, medical imaging and surgical products, for approximately $1.65 billion.
Represented Sonus Networks, Inc., a global leader in securing cloud and real-time communications, in its announced business combination with GENBAND, a leading provider of carrier and enterprise network transformation and real-time communications solutions.
Represented PerkinElmer in the sale of its medical imaging business to Varian Medical Systems for $276 million.
Represented Regal Entertainment Group in its acquisition by Cineworld Group PLC for $5.9 billion.
Represented Danaher in its acquisitions of Phenomenex, a manufacturer of consumables for the separation sciences; and FuelQuest, a provider of SaaS-based fuel management, logistics and service solutions.
Represented Thermo Fisher Scientific in the acquisition of Alfa Aesar research chemicals business of Johnson Matthey for approximately $405 million; the acquisition of Finesse Solutions for $221 million; and in the sale of its cell culture, gene modulation and magnetic beads businesses to GE Healthcare for $1.06 billion.
Represented Demandware, the industry-leading provider of enterprise cloud commerce solutions, in an acquisition by Salesforce, a customer success platform and the world’s number one CRM company, for approximately $2.8 billion.
Represented WEX Inc., a leading provider of corporate payment solutions, in the acquisition of Electronic Funds Source LLC (EFS), a provider of customized corporate payment solutions for fleet and corporate customers with a focus on the large and mid-sized over-the-road (OTR) fleet segments. EFS is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of WEX.
Global Finance Deal of the Year Award in the Category of Acquisition Finance
Recommended for Mergers & Acquisitions
The Legal 500 United States
Mergers & Acquisitions Deal of the Year Award
The M&A Advisor
- American Lawyer – WilmerHale’s representation of Hilton Worldwide Holdings in their $6.5 billion investment by HNA Group was selected as the 2017 Global Finance Deal of the Year under the Acquisition Finance category.
- Best Lawyers in America – Recognized 114 WilmerHale partners for 2019, naming nine as “Lawyers of the Year,” including Jay Bothwick as Boston Mergers and Acquisitions Law Lawyer of the Year and David Westenberg as Boston Information Technology Law Lawyer of the Year.
- Chambers Global – Recognized 33 WilmerHale lawyers and 18 practice areas, including our Life Sciences Practice, in its 2018 edition. Among those named “The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business” were Mark Borden and Jay Bothwick for corporate/M&A; Steve Singer for life sciences; and Robert Finkel for outsourcing.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – Named our Corporate Practice among the best in 2012-2018, with sources saying that WilmerHale provides “excellent service and quality advice and representation.” The 2018 edition of Chambers USA also ranked WilmerHale in the following regions and practices: Massachusetts and Washington DC for Corporate/M&A; Nationwide for Startups & Emerging Companies; and Massachusetts for Private Equity: Venture Capital Investment and Technology.
- Corporate Board Member – In 2014, 2016 and 2018, WilmerHale was named to Top National Corporate Law Firms list, a comprehensive ranking of the top 25 firms in the nation. Results are based on law firm surveys and feedback from thousands of directors and general counsels.
- Law360 – Named WilmerHale a Technology Practice Group of the Year for 2016 and 2017, an award recognizing the firm’s key role in the significant matters that made headlines and changed the legal landscape within the past year.
- Super Lawyers – Our corporate lawyers are consistently recognized as “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars” in multiple jurisdictions.
- The International Financial Law Review – Named WilmerHale to its shortlist of nominees for its 2018 Deals of the Year Award.
- The Legal 500 Deutschland – Recommended WilmerHale in eight practice areas, including M&A: National Medium-Sized Deals (- € 500m) and Information Technology and Outsourcing: Privacy in the 2016 edition.
- The Legal 500 EMEA – Recommended WilmerHale in 10 practice areas, including corporate and M&A in 2012-2015.
- The Legal 500 United States – Recommended WilmerHale’s Mergers and Acquisitions Practice in the areas of antitrust, commercial deals and contracts, M&A middle-market, and venture capital and emerging companies in its 2010-2018 editions.
- The M&A Advisor – Honored WilmerHale with the 2017 Deal of the Year award for representing Analog Devices.
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers® – In the 2010-2019 “Best Law Firms” rankings, our Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Venture Capital Practices were ranked in the first tier nationally and in Boston, along with our Corporate Practice also being ranked in the first tier in New York and Washington DC. Our Technology Practice was also ranked in the first tier in Boston and in the second tier nationally.