Energy, Environment and Natural Resources
Energy Generation and Transmission
Energy Generation and TransmissionCompanies around the world turn to our lawyers for assistance navigating regulatory challenges involving traditional and renewable energy.Learn More
Infrastructure Project Siting, Permitting and Development
Infrastructure Project Siting, Permitting and DevelopmentClients rely on WilmerHale to navigate complex federal permitting processes and environmental regulations that apply throughout the lifecycle of infrastructure projects.Learn More
MiningWilmerHale helps developers navigate legal issues that arise throughout the lifecycle of hard rock and coal mining projects, from acquisition to cleanup.Learn More
Native American Lands
Native American LandsWilmerHale partners with Native American tribes to navigate complex regulatory issues related to tribal sovereignty and self-governance, land use, and resource and recreation development.Learn More
Oil, Gas and LNG
Oil, Gas and LNGOur energy lawyers counsel clients through the full lifecycle of oil, gas and liquefied natural gas projects, from pre-permit strategy and permitting to implementation and functionality.Learn More
Public LandsClients count on our lawyers’ collective government and agency experience to guide them through public lands law and policy, including permitting, negotiations, environmental review and litigation.Learn More
Real Estate and Corporate Transactions
Real Estate and Corporate TransactionsWilmerHale's energy and environmental lawyers provide strategic counsel on commercial and regulatory issues related to a range of real estate and corporate transactions.Learn More
Ski Industry and Outdoor Recreation
Ski Industry and Outdoor RecreationWith lawyers based in Denver, California, the Northeast and Washington DC, our team is well positioned to help clients navigate regulatory issues related to the development and expansion of ski resorts and recreational operations.Learn More
Waste and Contamination
Waste and ContaminationFor decades, WilmerHale has counseled clients through complex legal issues involved in the management of hazardous and non-hazardous waste streams and the cleanup and restoration of contaminated sites.Learn More
Water ResourcesAcross the United States and around the globe, clients look to WilmerHale to tackle complex business issues involving science, law and policy.Learn More
Wildlife and Conservation
Wildlife and ConservationWilmerHale offers exceptional legal and strategic advice regarding all aspects of wildlife protection and mitigation, including the regulation of threatened and endangered species and their habitats.Learn More
- Assisting clients in developing, enhancing and auditing corporate compliance programs, including providing guidance related to voluntary self-disclosures under applicable federal and state audit policies when appropriate.
- Advising companies in closely regulated industries, including pharmaceuticals, on a variety of environmental permitting, compliance and enforcement issues in connection with research, manufacturing and laboratory operations, including the redevelopment of a 1.5-million-square-foot campus.
- Advising renewable energy companies in the development, financing and operation of solar generation, onshore and offshore wind generation, and biofuel production facilities throughout the United States. We have secured federal, state and county land use approvals for nearly 4,000 megawatts of wind energy, including more than 1,000 megawatts in eastern Colorado.
- Representing clients in connection with licensing and permitting to construct, operate, expand and decommission publicly controversial facilities in the nuclear energy, waste management, retail and recycling sectors.
- Representing ski areas across the United States as public lands, National Environmental Policy Act, federal regulatory and land use counsel.
- Representing seven national, state and local environmental and conservation groups as parties to the successful mediation and settlement of the 30-year-long Black Canyon of the Gunnison water rights litigation.
- Representing several state entities on energy and environmental regulatory issues in connection with the proposed conversion of that state's existing generation fleet from oil-based fuels to natural gas, compliance with the EPA's mercury and air toxics standards, and the proposed construction of a liquefied natural gas import facility.
- Defending a financial services company against electric market manipulation charges asserted by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
- Representing clients in numerous Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act and analogous state-led enforcement proceedings throughout the United States, including the defense and prosecution of cost-recovery claims and designation as common counsel at numerous multiparty sites.
- Representing clients in diverse matters relating to hydraulic fracturing, including monitoring and advocating in federal and state regulatory proceedings, defending personal injury and property damage claims, and evaluating risk associated with waste management and disposal.
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers® included WilmerHale on its 2017 “Best Law Firms” list for environmental law nationally (tier 1) and in Boston (tier 1) and Colorado (tier 2); energy law in Boston (tier 1); and natural resources law in Colorado (tier 2).
- The Legal 500 United States recommended WilmerHale in the area of energy regulatory: conventional power in the 2017 edition, and energy: regulatory in the 2015 and 2016 editions.
- The BTI Industry Power Rankings 2017 recognized WilmerHale for its strong client relationships in the energy industry.