Tim Silva has more than 19 years' experience providing strategic advice and guidance to firms in the asset management industry, including investment advisers, private fund managers and their principals, and registered funds and their directors and service providers. He is chair of the firm's Investment Management Practice.
Mr. Silva counsels investment advisers, mutual funds and hedge funds regarding SEC compliance, drafting and implementing compliance policies and procedures, structuring and organizing new products, fund reorganization and adoption transactions, seed capital arrangements, and joint ventures and distribution arrangements. In addition, Mr. Silva's practice includes advising clients on mergers and acquisitions in the investment management industry. Mr. Silva also regularly advises traditional operating companies on investment company status matters.
Recent highlights include:
- Lead transactional counsel to a large financial institution on two significant transactions: (1) the sale of its hedge fund-of-funds business to a global investment management firm, and (2) the sale of its private equity fund-of- funds business to a major mutual fund company
- Regulatory counsel to an institutional quantitative investment adviser on its sale to a global investment management firm
- Counsel to the investment banking division of a financial institution in connection with the structuring and formation of an investment adviser and commodity pool operator that utilizes proprietary index-based strategies, including establishment of compliance program and product structuring and formation
- Counsel to a biotech/healthcare-focused investment advisory firm in connection with the structuring and launch of funds that focus on late-stage private investments
- Counsel to several investment advisers and hedge fund managers in connection with recent SEC examinations
- Ongoing representation of a major financial institution in connection with third-party mutual fund distribution platforms and programs
- Lead transactional counsel to a wealth management firm in its sale to an independent investment advisory firm
- Ongoing regulatory and compliance counsel to institutional and private fund managers, including long-only, fixed income, long-short equity, emerging/frontier markets, credit/distressed credit and fund-of-funds
- Counsel to newly formed asset management firm in negotiation of strategic relationship with large hedge fund manager
- Named a "Massachusetts Super Lawyers' Rising Star" in the May 2006 and 2007 issues of Boston Magazine
Insights & News
JD, Boston College Law School, 1997magna cum laude Boston College Law Review
BS, Management, Boston College, 1992magna cum laude