Steven Singer has more than three decades of experience as a corporate attorney who has represented clients in a wide range of transactions. He has advised numerous public and private companies in the life sciences industry, focusing on joint ventures and strategic alliances, corporate and securities law, public offerings and venture capital transactions. Mr. Singer is consistently recognized in the areas of corporate and life sciences for successfully handling complex deals and collaborations in the technology transactions and licensing sector.
Mr. Singer has focused his practice in the life sciences industry for more than three decades. He has served as counsel for public and private companies in the life sciences sector, including biotechnology, medical device and pharmaceutical companies. His practice focuses on joint ventures and strategic alliances, corporate and securities laws, public offerings and venture capital transactions.
Mr. Singer has worked with the following public company clients, among others: Achillion, Agios, Aveo, Catabasis, Cerulean, Curis, Editas, Infinity, Karyopharm and Syros. Representative private company clients include Constellation, Cydan, Decibel, Fulcrum, Visterra and X-Chem. Mr. Singer has also worked with pharmaceutical companies, including Bristol Myers Squibb, Novartis and Wyeth.
Mr. Singer has also worked with New York-based medical and academic institutions in the establishment and operation of an independent, nonprofit genome sequencing center, the Tri-Institutional Therapeutics Discovery Institute and Bridge Medicines.
Mr. Singer serves on the Boards of Directors of the New York Genome Center and The Possible Project.
Mr. Singer is a member of the American Bar Association, the Biotechnology Industry Organization and the Massachusetts Biotechnology Council.
WilmerHale Lawyers and Practices Recognized in 2018 Edition of Chambers USA
Chambers and Partners announced its rankings for the 2018 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, with WilmerHale listed among the nation's best in 50 practice area categories. Chambers also ranked 95 WilmerHale lawyers as leaders in their respective fields.May 3, 2018Read More
WilmerHale Lawyers Named Among the 2018 Best Lawyers in America®, Nine Recognized as Lawyers of the Year
Best Lawyers in America®—the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal industry—recognizes 107 WilmerHale lawyers and names nine partners as Lawyers of the Year in its 24th edition.August 16, 2017Read More
LMG Life Sciences 2017 Honors WilmerHale With Top Rankings
LMG Life Sciences has recognized WilmerHale among the nation's leading life sciences law firms in its 2017 rankings, citing the firm's Life Sciences Practice as “renowned for its range and multidisciplinary teams that counsel clients in technology, pharmaceutical and medical device companies as well as investment banks and venture capitalists.”November 7, 2017Read More
Over the last several years, representation of the following companies in their initial public offerings and follow-on offerings: Agios, Catabasis, Cerulean, Editas, Kala, Karyopharm and Syros
Representation of New York-based academic and medical institutions in the establishment of research and development vehicles—Tri-I Therapeutics Discovery Institute and Bridge Medicines
Representation of MacroGenics in its alliances with Janssen, Servier, Takeda and Incyte
Representation of an independent, nonprofit genome sequencing center and consortium in its organization as a 501(c)(3) organization with multiple medical and academic institutions as members
Representation of Constellation in its collaboration with Genentech
Representation of Decibel in its collaboration with Regeneron
Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice Lawyer of the Year
Best Lawyers in America®
2011, 2016, 2018
National Leader in Life Sciences: Corporate/Commercial
Elite Leading Lawyer for Life Sciences and IP: Patent Licensing and Transactional
The Legal 500 United States
- Recognized as one of the world’s leading life sciences lawyers in the 2008-2016 editions of Who’s Who Legal: The International Who’s Who of Life Sciences Lawyers; also recognized in the 2011-2016 edition of Who’s Who Legal: The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers
- Recognized as a national leader in the life sciences: corporate/commercial field in the 2008-2018 editions of Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2006-2018 editions of the Best Lawyers in America, and was named New York Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice Lawyer of the Year for 2018, 2016 and 2011, New York Corporate Law Lawyer of the Year for 2017, and New York Mergers and Acquisitions Law Lawyer of the Year for 2015
- Listed in each edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business since 2003; recognized each year for his exceptional corporate/M&A practice and also for his life sciences commercial work in 2007-2009 and 2011-2018 editions. Sources describe Mr. Singer as a “phenomenal lawyer” who “knows the industry backwards and forwards.”
- Named an elite “Leading Lawyer” in the areas of life sciences and intellectual property: patent licensing and transactional by The Legal 500 United States. In the guidebook, a source stated that he is “absolutely outstanding on general corporate matters, strategy and all other areas.”
- Shortlisted for Finance & Transactional Attorney of the Year: Corporate in 2017 and recognized as a Life Sciences Star for outstanding transactional work in the 2012-2017 editions of LMG Life Sciences
- Named a “New York Super Lawyer” in the 2011-2017 editions of Metro Edition magazine
- Named a 2013-2016 leading practitioner in patent law by IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners
- Selected as one of the nation’s most highly recommended corporate M&A attorneys in the PLC Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions Handbook 2007/08
- Ranked as a leader in the US life sciences commercial and partnering category in the 2006/07, 2007/08 and 2009/2010 editions of the PLC Cross-border Life Sciences Handbook; also highly recommended for his corporate practice in 2006/07 and 2007/08
- Named a “New England Super Lawyer” (formerly “Massachusetts Super Lawyer”) in securities and venture finance in the 2004-2008 issues of Boston Magazine.
Insights & News
JD, Harvard Law School, 1979magna cum laude Harvard Law Review
BA, Tufts University, 1976summa cum laude