Sean Boulger, vice chair of the Real Estate Practice Group, focuses his practice on a wide range of real estate transactions and development projects. He represents numerous investors, developers and operators in joint ventures, acquisitions, developments, leases, and financing transactions across a broad spectrum of real estate asset classes.
Key knowledge areas include the following:
Mr. Boulger represents investors, developers and operators of multi-family housing projects across the United States. His experience includes the formation of joint ventures to acquire, develop and operate multi-family projects, as well as financing with conventional lenders, life insurance companies, government-sponsored enterprises and securitized lenders.
Mr. Boulger represents institutional owners and developers of office projects, including office-lab buildings, on acquisitions, developments, financings, joint ventures, sales and leasing. Representative projects include the formation of joint ventures to recapitalize major office-lab projects in Cambridge, Massachusetts and San Francisco, California for publicly-traded REIT.
Mr. Boulger has extensive experience in the seniors housing industry. On the operating side, his clients include Benchmark Senior Living, LLC, which owns and operates more than fifty seniors housing communities in which he has been involved in the acquisition, development and financing. On the investment side, he represents private equity funds which joint venture with prominent operators to acquire, develop and reposition seniors housing projects.
Mr. Boulger represents investors, developers and operators of retail projects. His clients include institutional investors, as well as Fortune 100 big-box operators, which he represents on numerous acquisition, leasing and development projects.
Mr. Boulger is experienced in the acquisition and development of industrial warehouse projects for various investors including REITs.
Mr. Boulger has extensive experience representing office landlords and tenants. Among other matters, he has negotiated major corporate headquarter leases on behalf of tenants, and has handled numerous lease workouts for landlords and tenants.
Design and Construction Contracts
Mr. Boulger has expertise representing owners and developers on design and construction projects. He has represented clients on numerous office, hotel, multi-family and senior housing projects, and manufacturing facilities.
Mr. Boulger is a co-leader of the firm's public interest partnership with Cathedral High School, an inner-city parochial school in Boston’s South End. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of Cathedral High School. Mr. Boulger is a graduate of the 2001 Lead Boston Class of the National Conference for Community and Justice.
Mr. Boulger's clients include numerous not-for-profit corporations, including Pine Street Inn, as well as Allston Brighton Community Development Corporation and Fields Corner Community Development Corporation, which develop affordable housing in Allston, Brighton and Dorchester, Massachusetts.
- Recapitalization of a $370 million office-lab project for a publicly-traded REIT
- Formation of a joint venture between a leading private equity fund and a seniors housing management company to develop assisted living and memory care facilities in New Hampshire and Rhode Island
Leading Lawyer for Real Estate
Top Lawyer for Real Estate Law
Best Lawyers in America®
Recommended for Real Estate
The Legal 500 United States
- Recognized for his "technical and market knowledge, patience, ability to be both practical and consultative, and extremely pleasant demeanor" in the 2013-2018 editions of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for his real estate practice, with clients saying "he's a good-quality, careful lawyer who is a pleasure to [work] with" and who "continues to distinguish himself"
- Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2008-2018 editions of Best Lawyers in America® in the area of real estate law
- Recommended in the 2016 and 2017 editions of the The Legal 500 United States for his real estate practice
- Recipient of WilmerHale's Reginald Heber Smith Award for Public Service
- Named a "New England Super Lawyer" (formerly "Massachusetts Super Lawyer") in real estate in the 2006-2017 issues of Boston Magazine
Insights & News
JD, Harvard Law School, 1992
BA, Economics, Harvard University, 1989