Roland Steinmeyer's corporate law practice focuses on national and international corporate matters, compliance, mergers and acquisitions, real estate transactions, financial services, privatizations and liquidations. He also advises clients on the structuring of compliance programs, particularly with regard to US regulations (Sarbanes-Oxley Act and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act) and German corporate laws. His experience is complemented by his practice as a notary.
Dr. Steinmeyer is a partner in the German Corporate Practice Group, and a former member of the Executive Committee. He joined the firm in 1999. He was previously a partner at KPMG Beiten Burkhardt for 13 years.
Dr. Steinmeyer is a lecturer of law (Lehrbeauftragter) at the Hochschule Konstanz for Technology, Economics and Design. He is a member of the Konstanz Institute of Corporate Governance (KICG).
Dr. Steinmeyer is a lecturer of law (Lehrbeauftragter) at the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen for M&A/take-over law.
Dr. Steinmeyer is a member of the Examination Board for Chartered Accountants.
- Advising the supervisory board of Daimler AG regarding the matter diesel emissions
- Advising Landesbank Hessen-Thüringen regarding dividend arbitrage activities
- Advising Bilfinger SE regarding an internal investigation into bribery allegations
- Advising US hedge funds regarding German takeover procedures
- Advising MAN SE regarding an internal investigation into bribery allegations and on the establishment of an internal compliance organization
- Advising HSH Nordbank AG in connection with an internal investigation concerning the dismissal of a former manager
- Advising TUI AG on corporate and capital market law matters
- Advising UK and US companies on real estate transactions in Germany
- Advising a US public company on German corruption issues
- Representing EnBW on the purchase of a strategic participation on EWE
Leading Lawyer for Compliance
Top German Lawyer for Corporate Law
Recommended in the Area of Compliance
Legal 500 Deutschland
- Since the 2006-2007 edition of JUVE Handbook, Dr. Steinmeyer is frequently recommended as a leading name for corporate/M&A.
- Dr. Steinmeyer is continuously recommended by JUVE Handbook in the area of compliance since its 2008 edition (clients say he is “incredibly versed” and "constantly works on a very high level").
- Dr. Steinmeyer is further recommended by JUVE Handbook 2013/2014-2015/2016 for his work as a notary and is cited as "very professional, service oriented and excellent judgment."
- Chambers Global 2011-2014 and Chambers Europe 2011-2017 recommend Dr. Steinmeyer as a leading attorney in the area of corporate/M&A, the Chambers Europe editions 2016-2018 recommend him in the area of compliance. He is praised for his experience in corporate compliance matters and knowledge of prominent international cases. Clients say "he is knowledgeable, has an effective approach, and is very aware of in-house sensitivities and strategic needs."
- Dr. Steinmeyer is recommended by Best Lawyers in the field of corporate law as a top German business lawyer (Handelsblatt 2010-2017).
- Legal 500 Deutschland 2015-2017 recommends Dr. Steinmeyer in the area of compliance.
- Dr. Steinmeyer is recommended by The Legal Experts EMEA 2011 Report as a leading lawyer for corporate and M&A.
- Dr. Steinmeyer is recognized by kanzleimonitor.de for his work in corporate law in Germany (2013/2014).
Insights & News
Doctorate in Law, University of Würzburg, 1985
Second State Exam, University of Augsburg, 1983
LLM, University of Cape Town, 1980
First State Exam, University of Augsburg, 1980