Robert Finkel is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group and a member of the FinTech Group. Mr. Finkel has more than 25 years of experience in private practice representing leading international corporations and financial institutions in complex commercial transactions with a particular focus on technology and outsourcing. Over the course of his career, he has represented clients in more than 100 major outsourcing transactions, across a wide variety of industries and types of transactions.
Mr. Finkel has for many years been a Band 1 Chambers Global and Chambers USA ranked lawyer in the areas of Outsourcing (Global and Nationwide) and Technology (New York). He is one of only a handful of lawyers worldwide to have a Band 1 ranking in the Chambers Global and Chambers USA Nationwide and New York categories. Mr. Finkel is widely regarded by outside observers as being one of the leaders in the profession and has been described as having "a very good way of building trust" and is "an impressively active practitioner with a sense of gravitas" and one "who gives excellent strategic, business-focused advice." In addition, his "understanding of our company and the nuances of our business is magnificent," commented a client in 2013 for a major legal directory publication.
Mr. Finkel has extensive knowledge in structuring and negotiating outsourcing transactions and other complex technology and service arrangements. Mr. Finkel's practice also encompasses mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances, and software and technology licensing. His clients have included many of the leading domestic and international corporations and financial institutions.
Mr. Finkel has published on a broad range of corporate, outsourcing and technology issues in such publications as the M&A Lawyer, the Computer Lawyer, Cyberspace Lawyer, the Journal of Internet Law, Intellectual Property Today, E-Commerce Adviser, Global eCommerce, Director's Monthly and the National Law Journal, among others.
Mr. Finkel is a recent member of the Stanford Law School Board of Visitors. He is an adjunct professor at New York Law School, where for the past several years he has instructed an advanced seminar course on Corporate Governance. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Finkel served as an aide to the late United States Senator from New York, Daniel Patrick Moynihan.
- Named to the inaugural Legal 500 US Hall of Fame list in 2017
- Consistently recognized as a Band 1 ranked attorney by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for his nationwide outsourcing and New York technology and outsourcing practices
- Ranked in Band 1 for outsourcing in the 2012-2018 editions of Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business, which describes him as "a leader in the outsourcing industry [who is] enormously respected," and has "great experience." Source were also quoted saying he does "fine work in outsourcing negotiations" and "his understanding of our company and the nuances of our business is magnificent."
- Recognized as a "fantastic outsourcing lawyer" by The Legal 500 United States in the technology: outsourcing category. Sources state that "he is very knowledgeable and always achieves an appropriate balance between legal requirements and business drivers."
- Consistently ranked by Who's Who in American Law for his technology and outsourcing practice
- Named by LawDragon as one of the leading lawyers in the US, and recognized as an elite leading lawyer by LawDragon 3000 (previously known as 'The Finalist')
- Recognized by Euromoney as one of the leading lawyers in both IT and media
- Chosen by peers and through independent research as a "New York Super Lawyer" from 2006 through 2017
Insights & News
JD, Stanford University, 1987
MA, International Affairs, Columbia University, 1988
BA, University of Pennsylvania, 1981magna cum laude