Mindy Sooter's practice focuses on patent litigation and other intellectual property and business disputes, with an emphasis on cases involving telecommunications, electrical engineering and computer science. Ms. Sooter has represented a variety of clients in courts throughout the United States, as well as the International Trade Commission, regarding technologies such as wireless networks and components, fiber-optic networks and components, firewalls and gateways, semiconductors, distributed computing systems and database technologies.
Prior to joining WilmerHale, Ms. Sooter was a partner focusing on intellectual property litigation at another firm in Denver, Colorado.
Ms. Sooter is also an adjunct professor teaching patent litigation at the University of Colorado School of Law.
Ms. Sooter serves as the chair of the Colorado Bar Association's IP Section.
- Moderator, "The PTAB Speaks: A Discussion with the Chief Judge," 15th Annual Rocky Mountain Intellectual Property and Technology Institute (June 2017)
- Moderator, "Technological Change, Ethics and the Law," 2014 Gathering of the Bench and Bar at Colorado Law (October 2014)
- Speaker, "Dealing With Experts, Including Rule 26 Employee Experts," Patent Litigation 2014, Practising Law Institute (October 2014)
- Speaker, "Copyright Policy and the Future of Television," University of Colorado Law School (May 2014)
- Speaker, "Strategic & Transactional Patent-Eligible Subject Matter: Implications for the Biotech, Medical Device and Software Industries," Practising Law Institute (2014)
- Speaker, "Before the Trial: The Pleadings, Motions and Other Factors that Determine What Gets to Trial in a Patent Case," Practising Law Institute (2012)
- Speaker, "Scope of Patentability and Other Patent Policy Levers," Silicon Flatirons (2012)
In recent years, Ms. Sooter's work has prevailed in or successfully resolved numerous cases, including:
- Achieving a victory for Akamai Technologies, Inc. when the Delaware Supreme Court affirmed the dismissal of a lawsuit brought by Limelight Networks, Inc., a competitor, asserting breach of a settlement agreement between the parties.
- Serving as co-lead counsel for Comcast Cable Communications in a ten-patent infringement matter in the Northern District of California involving interactive television patents, which resulted in granting summary judgment of non-infringement in favor of our client.
- Successfully obtaining dismissal and an award of attorneys' fees of more than $425,000 in a patent case involving optical network design and components.
- Successfully obtaining a $12 million jury verdict after a jury found that a competitor had engaged in willful patent infringement, willful trade dress infringement and intentional false advertising.
- Successfully obtaining a summary judgment of non-infringement, and subsequent affirmance by the Federal Circuit, in a patent case involving more than 100 asserted claims and two patents relating to multidimensional database technology.
- Successfully obtaining dismissal on behalf of a software company in a multi-jurisdictional case involving mapping software.
- Successfully obtaining a dismissal on behalf of a medical corporation in a case involving the technical performance of distributed computer systems.
- Successfully obtaining a summary judgment and complete dismissal of a $20 million licensing claim on behalf of a healthcare diagnostics company.
- Named to Law Week Colorado's 2018 Top Litigators and 2017 Top Women Attorneys lists
- Named among the Top 250 Women in IP and a 2018 IP Star by Managing IP, a guidebook that identifies leading IP lawyers in the United States
- Recognized in the 2014-2017 editions of IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Practitioners
- Recognized by Colorado Super Lawyers for intellectual property litigation in 2016
- Named 2014 IP Supporter of the Year by the Silicon Flatirons Center at the University of Colorado Law School
- Named a "Rising Star" by Colorado Super Lawyers in 2012
- Selected as an "Up and Coming Lawyer" in 2008 by Law Week Colorado
Insights & News
JD, University of Colorado School of Law, 2003Editor, Law Review, Order of the Coif
ME, Telecommunications, University of Colorado at Boulder, 1999
BS, Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1990magna cum laude Tau Beta Pi
United States Patent and Trademark Office
The Hon. Ferdinand F. Fernandez, US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2004 - 2005
The Hon. Mary J. Mullarkey, Colorado Supreme Court, 2003 - 2004