Mark Borden is a member of WilmerHale’s Corporate Practice, focusing on the representation of companies in the technology and finance sectors, among others. Since joining the firm in 1976, Mr. Borden has developed a successful corporate practice, concentrating primarily on securities law, corporate finance and acquisitions.
Mr. Borden has more than 35 years of experience in representing private and public companies. His public company clients include Analog Devices, Avid, Demandware, Idexx Laboratories, MKS Instruments, Red Hat, Skyworks Solutions, Sonus Networks, Staples, State Street and Wright Express.
Mr. Borden has represented companies and underwriters in more than 100 public offerings. Underwriters that he has represented include Goldman Sachs & Co., Morgan Stanley, Deutsche Bank and UBS.
In the acquisitions area, Mr. Borden has extensive experience both in structuring acquisitions and in designing defenses against unsolicited takeovers.
Mr. Borden is co-author of "Start-up Companies – Planning, Financing and Operating the Successful Business," published by Law Journal Seminars Press.
Mr. Borden is an overseer of the Boston Symphony Orchestra.
Mr. Borden has lectured at various seminars sponsored by MCLE and the Massachusetts Bar Association, on topics relating to public offerings, securities laws and takeover defenses. Mr. Borden served as a member of the subcommittee of the Boston Bar Association that drafted the Massachusetts Control Share Acquisition Act. He served on the special task force of the Boston Bar Association that drafted the Massachusetts corporations statute.
WilmerHale Reps Red Hat in Acquiring CoreOS for $250M
Red Hat, Inc., the world’s leading provider of open source solutions, announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire CoreOS, Inc., an innovator and leader in Kubernetes and container-native solutions, for a purchase price of $250 million, subject to certain adjustments at closing that are not expected to be material.Read More
Leading Lawyer for Corporate/M&A and Private Equity: Venture Capital
Boston Corporate Governance Law Lawyer of the Year
Best Lawyers in America®
Recommended for Capital Markets and M&A/Corporate
The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended in the 2016 and 2017 editions of The Legal 500 United States for finance: capital markets: debt offerings; finance: capital markets: equity offerings: advice to managers; and M&A/corporate and commercial: M&A: middle-market
- Named the 2015 and 2012 Boston Corporate Governance Law Lawyer of the Year, 2014 and 2009 Boston Corporate Law Lawyer of the Year, 2013 Boston Securities/Capital Markets Law Lawyer of the Year, and 2010 Boston Mergers and Acquisitions Law Lawyer of the Year by the Best Lawyers in America, and is consistently recognized for his work in corporate compliance, corporate governance, corporate law, mergers and acquisitions law and securities/capital markets law
- Named as a leader in the corporate/M&A field in the 2015-2018 editions of Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers, and as a leader in the private equity field in the 2008 edition
- Recognized as a leader in the corporate/M&A and private equity: venture capital investment categories in the 2007-2018 editions of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, with sources commenting "he is a very strong lawyer [who] handles clients well" and he has "broad range and tremendous experience"
- Recognized as one of Boston's top corporate lawyers in the PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook for 2006 and 2007/2008
- Named to the New England Super Lawyer (formerly "Massachusetts Super Lawyer") list, as published in Boston Magazine, since 2004
- Named among the world's leading merger & acquisition lawyers in the International Who's Who of Merger & Acquisition Lawyers 2010-2014
Insights & News
JD, Harvard Law School, 1976
BA, Yale University, 1973summa cum laude