Claudio Salas represents clients in diverse industries in international commercial and investment treaty arbitrations conducted in venues throughout the world under a variety of arbitral rules, including those of the ICC, ICSID, ICDR and UNCITRAL. He also represents clients in international litigation in US federal district and appellate courts, and in FCPA and other government investigations. A native Spanish speaker, he frequently handles matters originating in Latin America.
Prior to joining WilmerHale, Mr. Salas was a member of the team that represented Occidental Petroleum in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Ecuador, which resulted in a $1.77 billion award for Occidental (then the largest award in ICSID history). Other past matters include sovereign debt litigation in the S.D.N.Y. and Second Circuit Court of Appeals concerning an investment fund's $700 million judgment enforcement action against the government of Argentina, a litigation in the DC Circuit Court of Appeals concerning a Cuban state-owned company's challenge of the United States Treasury's OFAC regulations, and a representation in connection with the Case Concerning Pulp Mills on the River Uruguay (Argentina v. Uruguay) in the International Court of Justice.
Mr. Salas represents pro bono clients in a variety of matters, including immigration and housing. Prior to joining WilmerHale, Mr. Salas completed a six-month secondment with the Brooklyn District Attorney's office.
Mr. Salas is a member of the International Bar Association (IBA) and the New York City Bar Association (NYCBA).
- Representing client in an ICDR arbitration involving the airline industry
- Representing client in an UNCITRAL treaty arbitration involving a denial of justice claim against a Latin American state
- Representing client in a series of related FINRA arbitrations
- Representing client in connection with a monitorship arising out of a DPA with the DOJ relating to an FCPA investigation
- Representing client in an FCPA investigation of events that took place in Latin America
- Representing client in an ICC arbitration arising from a natural gas supply agreement
- Represented client in a natural gas price review ICC arbitration resulting in a favorable settlement for the client
- Advised client regarding potential treaty claims in Latin America and defenses against enforcement of a foreign judgment in US courts
- Advised client on arbitration-related matters in connection with a multiparty agreement in Asia
- Represented client in an ICSID arbitration in Asia resulting in a favorable settlement for the client
- Represented chemical company in an ICC arbitration regarding a joint venture resulting in a favorable settlement for the client
- Represented major medical device manufacturer in an ICDR arbitration resulting in a substantial award for the client
- Represented major insurance company in an ad hoc UNCITRAL arbitration resulting in a substantial award for the client
- Represented major financial institution in an ICC arbitration resulting in a favorable settlement for the client
Insights & News
JD, Yale Law School, 2004Coker Teaching Fellow
MA, University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez, 1998English/Education
BA, English Literature, Middlebury College, 1995summa cum laude College Scholar, Phi Beta Kappa