Chris Casamassima is an experienced trial lawyer who focuses his practice on complex business disputes involving antitrust, breach of contract, fraud, trade secrets, cybersecurity and other commercial issues. He has achieved significant victories on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of industries, including health care, entertainment, defense and aerospace.
In addition to handling significant litigation matters, Mr. Casamassima provides pre-litigation counseling to his clients on contract and antitrust issues, and has conducted antitrust compliance training programs. Mr. Casamassima has also presented seminars and authored numerous articles on a variety of antitrust and litigation topics.
Mr. Casamassima has been recommended by The Legal 500 United States, named a Southern California “Super Lawyer” or “Rising Star” 13 times, and was recognized as a Top 20 lawyer under the age of 40 in California by the Daily Journal in 2015.
Mr. Casamassima is currently a Vice Chair of the American Bar Association's Antitrust Law Section, Distribution and Franchising Committee, and was previously a Vice Chair of the Section's Privacy and Information Security Committee and the Cartel and Criminal Practice Committee. Mr. Casamassima is a member of the State Bar of California's Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law and Litigation Sections, the Italian American Lawyers Association, and the Association of Business Trial Lawyers. Mr. Casamassima has also served on the Board of Directors of the Western Center on Law & Poverty.
Media and Entertainment
- Representing developer of successful video game franchise in licensing dispute involving fraud and breach of contract claims
- Defending client in action alleging copyright infringement and breach of contract brought by developer of messaging service
- Successfully defended major movie studio in federal and state court class actions brought in connection with a well-publicized data breach
- Won arbitration award as lead counsel after full evidentiary hearing on behalf of production company for full amount of damages sought—plus fees, costs and interest—for breach of agreement to distribute full-length motion picture in Latin America and Brazil
- Obtained dismissal of complaint for a direct broadcast satellite television company, where plaintiffs alleged Sherman Act claims on behalf of a putative class seeking to require satellite and cable providers to offer a la carte distribution; obtained affirmance from the Ninth Circuit
- Defending public utility against monopolization and other antitrust and tort claims brought by solar panel company
- Successfully defended major movie exhibitor in federal and state actions where other exhibitors allege unlawful clearance agreements and purported circuit dealing in violation of the Sherman Act and state laws
- Represents clients in Department of Justice investigations and civil class action litigation concerning alleged price fixing and collusion; non-confidential matters include: In Re DRAM Antitrust Litigation; Brookshire Bros. et. al. v. Chiquita Brands International, Inc., et. al.; In Re Marine Hose Antitrust Litigation; In Re Flat Glass Antitrust Litigation (II); In Re Food Service Equipment Hardware Antitrust Litigation; Rigo v. Kason Industries, Inc., et. al.; In Re Transpacific Passenger Air Transportation Litigation; and In Re Air Cargo Shipping Services Antitrust Litigation
- Obtained dismissal of monopolization and misappropriation of trade secrets claims brought by one California law school against another law school operating in the same area
- Obtained favorable settlement for computer memory chip manufacturer facing allegations of conspiracy to boycott plaintiff and misappropriation of trade secrets
Fraud and Business Torts
- Representing health technology company in class action alleging fraud and other causes of action
- Representing Native American Tribe in action where plaintiff is alleging fraud, interference with contract, and breach of contract
- Defending director of technology company in action alleging breach of fiduciary duty for alleged improper dilution of company's stock
- Represented standardized test provider in defeating an action for preliminary and permanent injunctive relief filed on behalf of students whose AP test scores were invalidated after discovery of testing irregularities
- Won summary judgment for pharmaceutical manufacturer in qui tam litigation concerning alleged fraudulent claims submitted to insurers
- Won summary judgment for medical device manufacturer in qui tam litigation concerning alleged fraudulent claims submitted to insurers
- Represented individual and corporate defendants against SEC where SEC alleged multiple counts of securities fraud
- Obtained $1 million-plus restitution award for financial services company for amounts expended on attorneys' fees in connection with investigation into alleged insider trading by employee
- Secured $26.5 million settlement for a group of private investors for multiple banks' fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and aiding and abetting fraud and breach of fiduciary duty in connection with the Reed Slatkin Ponzi scheme
- Obtained successful confidential settlement on behalf of a group of Taiwanese financial institutions who brought claims for fraud, aiding and abetting fraud, and aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duty in connection with the collapse of PEM Group
- Conducted internal investigation into tribal governance and financial issues for Native American tribe
- Secured confirmation of arbitration award of more than $5 million for Spanish claimant in an arbitration regarding a cosmetics distribution contract
- Successfully defended managing general agent of insurer in an action brought by an insured alleging inadequate property insurance coverage
Defense and Aerospace
- Won judgment as trial counsel in favor of a major aerospace company at the close of plaintiff's case during the trial of a dispute concerning the pricing of the F/A-18 aircraft
- Won arbitration award for a satellite manufacturer in an international arbitration where claimant insurance companies alleged claims in subrogation for breach of contract in connection with the loss of a satellite; after arbitration, obtained confirmation of the award in federal district court
- Represented defense contractor in connection with contract negotiations and disputes with sub-contractors for defense program
- Won $64.5 million jury verdict on behalf of an aircraft systems company against a security and aerospace company for intentional interference with prospective economic advantage arising out of a teaming relationship to upgrade the B-1B bomber's mission computer
- Recommended in the areas of antitrust civil litigation and general commercial disputes in the 2016 edition of The Legal 500 United States
- The Daily Journal included Mr. Casamassima in its 2015 “Top 20 Under 40” in California list, which recognizes 20 attorneys under the age of 40 who have made significant contributions to the practice of law in California.
- Named a “Super Lawyer” in the 2014-2018 editions of Southern California Super Lawyers, and selected to the 2004-2008 and 2010-2013 lists of “Rising Stars.”
- Acquisition International selected the firm's Antitrust and Competition Practice as the recipient of its "Antitrust Litigation Law Firm of the Year" in California.
- Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
Insights & News
JD, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law, 2000Submissions Editor, UCLA Entertainment Law Review
BA, History, University of Pennsylvania, 1997magna cum laude
District of Columbia