Charlie Speth is a litigator who focuses his practice on complex civil litigation and government enforcement matters.
Mr. Speth has a broad range of commercial, government and regulatory litigation experience, having represented clients in the defense or prosecution of claims alleging securities fraud, violations of the False Claims Act, price fixing under the Sherman Act, false advertising under the Lanham Act, breach of contract, violations of consumer protection and unfair competition statutes, unjust enrichment, tortious interference, copyright violations, and trade secret misappropriation.
Mr. Speth has also represented both corporations and individuals in connection with investigations and enforcement matters conducted by the Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission. In addition, Mr. Speth has helped to advise firm clients, including a national bank and a leading accounting firm, on regulatory matters.
Mr. Speth is a member of the District of Columbia Bar Association and the Litigation and Business Law Sections of the American Bar Association.
Commercial and Government Contract and Business Disputes
- Represented defense contractor in action against the Air Force concerning the launch of military satellites under a FAR Part 12 commercial item contract; litigated three-week, 24-witness trial before Armed Service Board of Contract Appeals.
- Represented largest US credit union in civil action alleging breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, unfair trade practices and fraud claims against an insurer and a lending-services provider arising out of insurance coverage on mortgage defaults; obtained favorable settlements from both the insurer and lending service provider at summary judgment stage following discovery.
- Represented a major international retailer in action alleging misappropriation of trade secrets related to the design and manufacture of athletic shoes in China; obtained voluntary dismissal following discovery.
False Claims Act Litigation
- Represented major pharmaceutical company in False Claims Act litigation based on allegations of deceptive marketing to physicians; obtained dismissal of all claims on grounds of public disclosure bar and Rule 9(b) following discovery and an evidentiary hearing on the applicability of the public disclosure bar.
- Represented a major national insurance company in False Claims Act litigation alleging reverse false claims based upon alleged industry-wide failure to comply with Medicare Secondary Payer Act regulations; secured early dismissal through direct discussions with relator’s counsel.
Criminal and Civil Enforcement Investigations
- Represented individual in parallel Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission investigations under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act involving drilling operations in Venezuela; reached favorable settlement with SEC and no criminal enforcement.
- Represented a manufacturer of TFT-LCD panels in connection with criminal price fixing investigation, state attorneys general investigations and private multidistrict class actions.
Class Action Defense
- Represented satellite radio provider in multiple consumer class actions brought in New Jersey and Alabama federal district courts following a radio service interruption related to satellite transmission; obtained dismissals of both class actions on motions to dismiss.
- Represented leading open-source software company in securities fraud class action related to revenue recognition on subscription software licenses; defeated plaintiff’s initial motion for class certification.
Government and Regulatory Litigation
- Represented US congressman in civil action alleging sexual harassment; obtained dismissal of all claims against congressman through motion to dismiss.
- Represented major bank in Administrative Procedure Act challenge to regulation issued by the Internal Revenue Service.
Pro Bono Litigation
- Represented the estate of deceased inmate who was attacked in federal prison in negligence action against Bureau of Prisons under the Federal Tort Claims Act.
- Represented individual in separate murder prosecutions in Washington DC and Montgomery County, MD.
Insights & News
JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 2005magna cum laude Order of the Coif; Georgetown Law Journal; Recipient, Georgetown Club of Metropolitan Washington, DC Award
BA, History, Yale University, 1999
District of Columbia
The Hon. Julia Smith Gibbons, US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2005 - 2006