Cadene Russell Brooks focuses her practice on complex litigation and government investigations.
She has experience in civil and criminal matters and represents individuals, financial institutions and private companies in healthcare fraud, False Claims Act and criminal defense litigation. Ms. Brooks also has experience conducting internal investigations related to bribery, money laundering and cyber fraud involving the US Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. In addition, she has advised companies on civil rights and anti-discrimination issues.
Ms. Brooks shares the firm's commitment to pro bono work and maintains an active pro bono practice.
She is a member of the Diversity Committee for the Washington DC office.
From 2015 to 2016, Ms. Brooks served as a law clerk to the Honorable Carl E. Stewart, Chief Judge of the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
While a student at Howard University School of Law, Ms. Brooks served as a law clerk in the Homicide Section of the US Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia and as a judicial extern to the Honorable Emmet G. Sullivan of the US District Court for the District of Columbia. As a student attorney in Howard's Civil Rights Clinic, Ms. Brooks represented clients in Title VII employment discrimination and fair housing discrimination cases. She previously worked as a summer associate in the litigation and international trade practices of another prominent Washington DC law firm.
- Co-Chair, Career Advisory Network Committee, Duke Women's Forum
- Mentor, Maya Angelou Public Charter School
- Member, Duke University Alumni Association Admissions Committee
- Former Member, DukeDC, Board of Directors
Ms. Brooks is a member of the Leadership & Professional Development Committee of the DC Bar's Law Practice Management Community. She is also a member of the American Bar Association and the Greater Washington Area Chapter, Women Lawyers Division, of the National Bar Association.
Ms. Brooks is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Successful representation of a global technology company in an investigation by the US Department of Justice concerning immigration matters
- Represented a multinational pharmaceutical company in a False Claims Act investigation focusing on off-label marketing, anti-kickback and false claims allegations
- Represented a global financial institution in connection with inquiries by the US Attorney's Office in qui tam False Claims Act litigation
- Successful representation of an individual defendant facing criminal prosecution, resulting in dismissal of felony charges in state court
Insights & News
JD, Howard University School of Law, 2015
Editor-in-Chief, Howard Law Journal
BA, Biological Anthropology and Anatomy, 2010
District of Columbia
The Hon. Carl E. Stewart, US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2015 - 2016