Anthony Trenton is a highly regarded litigator and advisor who focuses his practice on intellectual property. He represents clients on matters relating to patents, trademarks and domain names, copyright, registered designs and design right, and breach of confidence. Mr. Trenton has extensive experience in handling all stages of litigation, from before commencement of proceedings through to trial and appeal. He has conducted cases up to the highest level in the UK, having run a two-week appeal in the House of Lords and an appeal in the UK Supreme Court. He is a Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Civil Courts) and has exercised his advocacy rights in the High Court.
After graduating in Natural Sciences from Cambridge, Mr. Trenton was called to the Bar of England and Wales. He trained as a pupil barrister under David Kitchin, now Lord Justice Kitchin (in charge of the Intellectual Property list of the Court of Appeal). He was also admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales and was awarded the Diploma in Intellectual Property from the University of Bristol.
Mr. Trenton’s work has included:
- Representing Kirin-Amgen in a biotechnology patent infringement case relating to erythropoietin. It went up to the House of Lords and is the leading UK case on issues of construction and non-literal patent infringement.
- Representing the market leader in the supply of intermediate industrial bulk containers in a patent infringement action that went to the UK Supreme Court. It is the leading UK case on whether an act is repair or making, for the purposes of patent infringement.
- Acting in an expert capacity advising on English law in a New York arbitration relating to a patent license dispute
- Representing a major pharmaceutical company in a successful claim to revoke a patent relating to a well-known drug
- Representing a major pharmaceutical company in a patent infringement case concerning the use of glucagon-like peptides for reducing body weight
- Representing a client in a successful patent infringement case which went to the High Court and Court of Appeal involving snack food packaging equipment
- Representing a client in a patent entitlement dispute against a leading defense contractor relating to patents concerning hovercushion landing gears on airships
- Representing a major chemical company in a successful patent action relating to ion exchange resins for purifying acetic acid. It was followed by the first account of profits to go to trial for nearly a century.
- Representing a client in a case against Unilever relating to ice cream bars and obtaining the first modern stay of patent proceedings in the UK pending a European Patent Office Opposition
- Representing a client in a patent infringement case relating to technology involving the projection of images onto polymeric film
- Representing a global online information and publishing business in relation to numerous trademark infringement and passing off disputes and oppositions concerning its brands
- Representing a client in a successful trademark revocation action relating to the Bach Flower Remedies trademark
- Representing a client in trademark infringement proceedings relating to the BOTOX trademark
- Representing a client in successful trademark infringement proceedings in Malaysia concerning the H R Johnson trademark for tiles
- Representing a global entertainment media company in a trademark infringement and passing off action against one of its major competitors in relation to the launch of a television channel
- Representing a well-known tyre manufacturer in a successful trademark infringement and domain name dispute
- Representing a client in a successful and leading trademark infringement and passing off case relating to cybersquatting
- Representing a hostelling organization in relation to a number of trademark infringement disputes
Chambers UK has for several years ranked Mr. Trenton among the leading lawyers for intellectual property in the UK. He has also been recognized by The Legal 500, Legal Experts, IP Stars Handbook and Super Lawyers.
- Chambers has reported that Mr. Trenton has "very sound judgment" and "can be relied upon to persuade the opposing side to make more compromises," is a "noted patent litigator" and "also a go-to for heavyweight trade mark disputes." He is "noted for his strategy and expert advice," with clients saying that he is "an excellent port of call for complex, delicate matters" and "hardworking and astute." Clients also admire his "ability to understand relationships and distil from those the correct amount of information needed."
- The Legal 500 has noted that Mr. Trenton is "highly respected for his litigation expertise." Sources acknowledge him as "very bright indeed" and "very diligent and very focused, and an excellent technical lawyer."
- Identified by Law360 as a thought leader on what intellectual property lawyers should know about the Brexit fallout in,"5 Things IP Attorneys Need To Know About Brexit," published June 24, 2016.
Insights & News
Diploma, Intellectual Property Law, University of Bristol, 1997
Inns of Court School of Law, 1993
MA, Natural Sciences, University of Cambridge, Trinity Hall, 1990
England and Wales, Solicitor