Publications & News
Karen Green Joins the Massachusetts Superior Court as Associate Justice

Karen Green Joins the Massachusetts Superior Court as Associate Justice

November 14, 2016

WilmerHale is pleased to announce that former Partner Karen F. Green has been confirmed to a seat on the Massachusetts Superior Court as Associate Justice. She will be sworn in by Governor Charlie Baker on November 22 and will be inducted into the Superior Court on November 28.
Ms. Green first joined WilmerHale in 1982 as a litigation associate. During her legal career, she has served in various public service positions, including as an Assistant US Attorney and Deputy Chief of the Civil Division of the US Attorney's Office in Boston in the mid-'80s and as Chief of Staff to Massachusetts Governor William F. Weld in 1993. From 1993 to 1996, she served as First Assistant US Attorney at the US Attorney's Office. She also has served as a director of various organizations, including Fiduciary Trust Company, CareGroup, Inc., the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation and the Harvard Club of Boston.

Ms. Green has made many contributions across the firm, including serving as chair of Hale and Dorr's Litigation Department, co-chair of WilmerHale's Litigation/Controversy Department, on the firm's Executive Committee, and as a mentor in and leader of the Women's Leadership Initiative. Her practice has focused on complex business litigation, including the defense of white-collar criminal and False Claims Act litigation. 
“We are proud of Karen's distinguished accomplishments while at WilmerHale, and her record of public service,” said Susan Murley, co-managing partner of WilmerHale. “Her nomination and confirmation to the Superior Court is a well-deserved recognition of her professional accomplishments and numerous career achievements.”
The Superior Court is comprised of 82 justices in 20 courthouses across all 14 counties in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and is a statewide court of general jurisdiction that handles a broad variety of civil litigation in matters of contract, injury and civil rights, among others, with amounts in controversy exceeding $25,000. In addition, the court oversees criminal matters including homicide, sex offenses, robbery and financial fraud. Approximately 65% of the cases are civil lawsuits and the remaining 35% are criminal proceedings.
Learn more about the Massachusetts Superior Court.