Permitting and Compliance
- Counseling a real estate developer regarding the NEPA process related to a pending application before the US Forest Service for an easement to construct, improve, utilize and maintain road segments across National Forest System lands to support a proposed housing development.
- Assisting a Wyoming-based power company in gaining federal regulatory approval to build one of the largest wind farms and transmission lines in North America.
- Serving as public lands counsel for a New England-based investor-owned utility seeking to obtain federal approvals and permits for the construction of high-voltage energy transmission lines across the Appalachian Trail and the White Mountain National Forest.
- Securing federal, state and local land use approvals for ski areas and winter recreation programs, including ski area permits, permit renewals and other special use authorizations.
- Working with a major ski resort to navigate federal and state environmental permitting processes and negotiate with various stakeholders to secure approval for a new gondola.
- Securing federal, state and county land use approvals for nearly 4,000 megawatts of wind energy, including more than 1,000 megawatts in eastern Colorado.
- Obtaining multiple regulatory approvals for the development of utility-scale wind farms across the western United States.
- Representing clients in the nuclear energy, waste management, retail and recycling sectors in securing licenses and permits to construct, operate or expand controversial facilities on public lands.
- Counseling clients on NEPA compliance and the development of Habitat Conservation Plans under the ESA, as well as other environmental review, permitting and enforcement matters.
Investigations and Enforcement
- Conducting an internal investigation for a company operating on public lands, and representing the company in national regulatory agency enforcement actions.
- Representing a major wind-power company in a Department of Justice investigation into potential wildlife impacts from wind turbines.
- Conducting an internal investigation for an oil and gas company to assess whistleblower complaints related to potential environmental violations impacting public lands.
- Representing a mining company in multifaceted litigation with the federal government over mineral rights on public lands, including advising on public policy issues.
- Successfully defending a public utility's federal approvals for significant sources of electric generation outside of Las Vegas, Nevada, in appellate court.
- Representing seven national, state and local environmental and conservation groups as parties to the successful mediation and settlement of the 30-year-long Black Canyon of the Gunnison water rights litigation.
- Challenging on behalf of a client the Bureau of Land Management's decision to arbitrarily withdrawal several oil and gas leases with a collective estimated value in the billions.