- Serving as strategic counsel to a leading independent power producer regarding permitting and regulatory approvals required to develop transmission projects in Arizona, California, Hawai'i and Nevada, and advising on the impact that potential changes in the federal regulatory regimes that guide development on public lands may have on transmission projects.
- Representing clients in federal regulatory and permitting proceedings arising under the Federal Power Act, Natural Gas Act and National Environmental Policy Act, and appearing extensively before numerous government bodies, including the Department of Energy, EPA and US Army Corps of Engineers.
- Assisting a Wyoming-based power company in gaining federal regulatory approval to build one of the largest wind farms and transmission lines in North America.
- Assisting an exchange with coordinated regulatory submissions to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) to permit trading and clearing of exchange-traded derivatives contracts on power and obtain an associated market-based rate authorization from FERC.
- Advising a Massachusetts-based commercial management and real estate leasing company on commercial, regulatory, financing, zoning and contracting issues in connection with the proposed development of a 6–12 megawatt solar photovoltaic project at a large industrial complex managed by the company.
- Counseling a multinational financial services corporation on matters related to energy project development and participation in wholesale energy markets, including obligations pursuant to market-based rate authorization from FERC and competitive supplier licenses from several state public utility commissions.
- Assisting a Chicago-based solar project developer in the permitting, development, financing, construction and sale of more than 50 megawatts of solar generation projects in the United States, as well as the potential development of solar generation projects in northern Africa, Mexico, the Middle East and Pakistan.
- Conducting an internal review of an electric utility company's existing compliance program and associated controls to manage risk, and providing a set of recommendations to improve its existing program in order to take advantage of current government guidelines—such as federal sentencing guidelines—that credit companies that implement robust compliance systems.
- Providing advice to a multinational electric utility company on commercial and regulatory issues arising from a gas supply agreement with an adjacent 1200-megawatt electric generation facility.
- Advising a solar power integrator on the nationwide rollout of its residential solar program in relation to the development and launch of its residential program, including energy, real estate, tax, and consumer and corporate requirements and implications.
Investigations and Enforcement
- Advising a global energy company in enforcement proceedings and federal agency and congressional investigations stemming from a major accident and resulting oil spill.
- Assisting energy companies in successfully resolving suspension and debarment proceedings involving the Department of the Interior and EPA.
- Representing clients in numerous Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act and analogous state-led enforcement proceedings throughout the United States, including defense and prosecution of cost-recovery claims and designation as common counsel at various multi-party sites.
- Representing a petroleum and natural gas production company in response to investigations and litigation arising out of a gas line explosion, including crisis response, community outreach, civil and criminal liability questions, and responding to inquiries from multiple federal and state regulators.
- Filing an amicus petition on behalf of a coalition of electricity consumers and demand response aggregators before the US Supreme Court in support of FERC Order 745.
- Defending a financial services company against electric market manipulation charges asserted by FERC.