Merger ClearanceRepresented Danaher Corporation in connection with the global merger review of the $20 billion acquisition of GE Healthcare’s Biopharma business.
Merger ClearanceRepresented Baker Hughes in connection with the global merger review of the $32 billion combination with GE Oil & Gas, and previously with regard to Halliburton's proposed $34.6 billion acquisition of Baker Hughes.
LitigationRepresented one of the world's largest auto parts manufacturers in resolving its criminal liability in the US, parallel cartel proceeding before the European Commission, and follow on US civil litigation.
LitigationWon a resounding victory as co-lead trial counsel for clients T-Mobile and Deutsche Telekom in a landmark antitrust trial in which Attorneys General from 13 states and the District of Columbia failed in their effort to enjoin the merger of T-Mobile and Sprint.
Competition DefenseRepresenting Apple, Broadcom, Research in Motion and other industry participants in cases in the United States and throughout the world asserting Sherman Act Section 2 and breach of contract claims arising out of a competitor’s refusal to license patents declared essential to industry standards on fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRAND) terms.
Merger ClearanceAdvising leading academic publisher Springer Science Business Media (SSBM) in securing merger control clearance from the US Department of Justice, the European Commission and several further authorities worldwide for the combination of SSBM with the majority of Holtzbrinck-owned Macmillan Science and Education (namely Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan and the global businesses of Macmillan Education) in a joint venture with approximately EUR 1.5 billion in annual revenues.
LitigationRepresenting Cephalon in a prominent action brought by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and in separate antitrust actions by putative classes of direct and indirect purchasers of Provigil®, as well as by a would-be generic competitor, Apotex, Inc., all of which challenge Cephalon’s settlement of Hatch-Waxman patent litigation.
LitigationRepresenting Intel in FTC Part 3 litigation, where the FTC alleged unlawful monopolization of markets for computer microprocessors and graphics processing.
Acquisition ClearanceObtaining US clearance for International Paper’s acquisition of Temple-Inland and obtaining US, German and Chinese clearance for its acquisition of Weyerhauser’s containerboard business.
Top Practice Area
The Legal 500
Competition Group of the Year
Litigation of the Year Award
Global Competition Review
- Law360 named WilmerHale a 2020 Competition Group of the Year, a recognition which featured the firm's litigation wins and major deals that resonated throughout the legal industry.
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers® Best Law Firms regularly recognizes our antitrust practice on its annual list.
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business recognized our antitrust practice in Belgium, the United States and globally from 2014–2022.
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business consistently ranks our Antitrust and Cartel Enforcement practices in California, Massachusetts, Washington DC and nationally--most recently in 2022. In recent publications, clients have praised the practice's "solid and strategic" work and "responsive, wise and creative" approach, and placed us "at the very top for US law firms in cartel work."
- Chambers Europe: Leading Lawyers for Business regularly recognizes WilmerHale’s competition practice in Germany and Belgium, most recently in 2021 and 2022.
- The Legal 500 US and The Legal 500 Germany has awarded WilmerHale top rankings across the areas of antitrust since the inception of the legal directory guides.
- Global Competition Review (GCR) consistently ranks WilmerHale among its list of "Top 20 GCR Global Elite" law firms. In addition, the firm is recognized as a standout antitrust and competition practice leader in Brussels, California, Germany, Massachusetts and Washington DC. In 2017–2019, the firm has been recognized for Litigation of the Year–Cartel Defence and in 2017 also for Litigation of the Year–Cartel Prosecution.
- Handelsblatt Best Lawyers named several WilmerHale lawyers from the Berlin and Frankfurt offices as "Best Lawyers" in Germany in the 2013–2018 editions.