Cartel Investigations and Litigation
Mr. Mueller has extensive internal investigation and litigation experience. His experience in both the US and Europe has been helpful in developing strategies in responding to price-fixing allegations, often from multiple antitrust authorities around the world. He has successfully persuaded authorities to close investigations without taking enforcement action and has secured non-prosecution agreements and leniency protection for clients. A selection of recent cartel investigations and litigation matters include:
- Representing a major natural gas company in DOJ and State AG investigations of leasing practices
- Representing one of the world's largest auto parts manufacturers in resolving its criminal liability in the US
- Representing a leading bearing manufacturer in the DOJ's investigation of that industry
- Representing a major European airline in investigations and litigation concerning the air cargo business
- Representing JP Morgan Chase in the DOJ's investigation of the municipal derivatives market
- Representing a major Japanese freight forwarder in DOJ investigations of the logistics industry
- Representing Chi Mei Optoelectronics in the LCD investigation
- Representing Odfjell ASA in the investigation by the US and EU of an alleged conspiracy among major chemical tanker companies
- Representing a major private equity fund regarding the conduct of a portfolio company
- Representing a head of sales in an auto parts investigation
- Representing the head of rates at a major bank in the LIBOR investigation
Mr. Mueller has represented clients in numerous in-depth investigations of global transactions, including serving as lead EU counsel in the merger between America Online and Time Warner, at the time, the world's largest merger. He has obtained early conclusion of phase II cases before the European Commission, as well as the clearance by US and EU authorities of Tetra Laval's acquisition of Sidel – the only transaction to have been successfully appealed and then approved by the European Commission.
Conduct Investigations and Counseling
Mr. Mueller counsels clients in a wide variety of industries on issues of abuse of dominance and vertical and horizontal restrictions of competition. He has particular experience in the aviation, manufacturing, finance, Internet and telecommunications industries.